Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Best Place to go through FIREWALL

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 12:12 PM
Velvet951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Best Place to go through FIREWALL

I am installing my Lindsey Manually Boost Controler and need to know the easiest place to put the two vacuum hoses through the firewall.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:28 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually put my manual controller in my glovebox - out of site, out of mind! LOL!

Seriously, if you get the proper size grommetts, remove the battery, it is very easy to drill the metal in front of the battery(grommett here too to protect your tubing), then with the complete glove box removed, you can go through the firewall in the back of the battery compartment. Where the metal slightly inclines(to avoid water) you can count the indentions in the metal to see where you are, drill a small pilot hole to confirm, an then drill the holes for your tubing if you choose. After you run your tubing, reinstall the glovebox. Just check your tubing size, hole size, for a proper grommett; add a dab of silicone for extra protection. good luck
Old 06-23-2003, 01:04 PM
W88951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Velvet951,

I believe on 88 and 89 cars there is an unused rubber grommet in the battery box compartment area. You can poke a hole in that to run the line. In order to reach it from the inside you will have to remove the glove box to finish pulling the cable through. I will try and post a picture. As far as I know this hole is not on any previous year car.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:07 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's no need to drill holes. I also installed the manual controller on my former 87 951 in the glove box. There is a painted grommet on the fire wall that is right behind the glove box. I removed the black plastic a/c duct that cools the glove box. If you want to leave it factory so you can cool down your beer, then you will need to drill a hole in the box. Like Ski's method, you will still have to remove the glove box.

It's easier to remove the box and find the correct grommet from the inside since it's unpainted. Maybe ArticCzar will post pics of the install. I though it was pretty cool, totally stealth and easily accessible.

Quick Reply: Best Place to go through FIREWALL