Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

SFR Complete Exhaust Tested !

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2001, 06:25 PM
M@951
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up SFR Complete Exhaust Tested !

Got the complete race 3" Test-pipe,cat-back,RMB,4" bullet tip. Matched it to TIAL wastegate which is sweet just holding and admiring it in hand. Used SFR jet-hot welded dumptube to eliminate extra stock piping. Car feels about 20% stronger and a full sec quicker @1/4.

NEW Apexi AVC-R

*A-pillar gauge pod [pending]

Apexi Emblem [glovebox button area]

TIAL Wastegate

*NEW Apexi boost gauge [glows]

*NEW Apexi EGT gauge [glows]

*NEW MAF3 Huntley

NEW Short Shift kit

NEW MOMO Cobra carbon ****

NEW MOMO pedals

MOMO wheel

MagnaFlow 3" muffler FOR SALE

APE 2 chips

AFPR @3bar

LBE - 4 SALE !

K&N cone kit - 4 SALE !

NEW coolant tank & hoses

NEW O2 sensor

NEW vacuum lines

NEW brake lines

NEW SEATS ALL AROUND !

NEW Magnecor 8.5

NEW Custom fuel rail [powder coated red]

NEW Steel braided fuel lines

NEW 17" cups/Pzero

NEW Alpine/Infinity

WEAKNESS

K26-6, head gasket, intercooler, fuel inj, fuel pump, throttle body, blow-off valve, intercooler pipes, cam, ignition, suspension, brakes

Should have these weakness areas cured by next summer [grin]

Installing MAF3 w/ gauges & AVC-R after I get the 3.5bb Turbo and 52lb inj.
17"CUPnull
Old 12-26-2001, 09:21 PM
belz
Instructor

Question

Not trying to be critical at all ... with all the mods how can you attribute your gains to the exhaust system only? Did you have all the mods on it prior to adding the exhaust system?
Old 12-27-2001, 01:09 AM
M@951
Advanced

Huntley MAF3 & Apexi AVC-R are not installed YET [grin]. After the wastegate installed with 3" pipes, the car was @14psi regulated by chips and wastegate spring, 3bar AFPR, etc. Sure, Tial alows boost increases thereafter as it does when you install a MAF or large intercooler. My pipes and wastegate were 15years old and were not race worthy to begin with. With TIAL and pipes the car was stronger than when I used LBE to change boost curve. I actually lost top end with LBE, it was unpredictable burst of boost (that can't be healthy!. Car was feeling as if clutch was slipping when you see stock bar gauge and tach soar but no power its a faulty wastegate and restrictions in exhaust. You see, the turbo was doing it's JOB, but my boost was not holding. After install last week, 14psi felt great ! (No LSD, so my 17's spin easily.) Yoko AVS Sports are VERY sticky and rated @130 compared to Mich Pilots @240 with similar intermeditate tread. 16psi starts to ping a bit. Other day had it dialed @15.5psi - it takes the K26-6 into the 'SS2k2, C5, RX-7TT, SupraTT bracket @1/4mile. Maybe different story @1/4 track but @1/4 on streets I own those cars and hang with Z06 in 2nd gear over the weekend. Those cars would have laughed at my 2.5L last week, now I am taking their $$. I have not timed it yet due to weather but I imagine the car would hold its own about high 12's with $800 F1 Quaife LSD installed or Hoosiers. I will build the engine before I go LSD tripping.
Old 12-27-2001, 02:41 AM
M@951
Advanced

I take notes when my mechanic analyzes performance products. Mr. CharlesWorth raced F1 and has 3 '86 951's. If you could have been there after the TIAL/Wastegate upgrade you would have heard him say how awesome the bolt-on Tial dual port S.S. design is and how superior it is to stock and how it seats to the SFR custom flange like nothing he has seen, no boost leak. I have not asked him about Lindsey's bolt-on unit which i hear has satisfied plenty of folks and my friend too. Tom says Tial is best on the market and that the deltagate $250 and racegate $450 is nice concept but not the greatest on our cars. I told him I could not afford the B&B system or Fabspeed. Tom says he actually prefers the much less expensive SFR system! I don't think I need to tell folks on Rennlist about TurboTim and John's Anderson's customer service at SFR. Heck I paid normal price in Nov. and Tim called and says he is running a XMAS sale and credited my account for difference I paid in Nov. BTW I emailed Mike and Dave Lindsey about purchasing their wastegate and complete exhaust. They did not get my emails or their customer service needs attention. Anyhow I am so glad they did not reply because I was leaning towards their less expensive bolt-on wastegate from day one. Now that I have seen comparison of the Tial and Lindsey gate there is no question that I made the sensible choice. I am going to give Lindsey another shot at my business on A-pillar and carbon chin spoiler. I may have to call or just freak'n drive to their shop. I endorsed Lindsey products before and would endorse them again. I live real close to Lindsey and would like to meet Mike and Dave, but since I have endorsed SFR, Huntley, and other competitors, Lindsey has apparently blacklisted me and left the Rennlist board indefinately. I wish it were not the case. I purchased the car last year and have invested alot of time and $$ in a short time and have only scratched the surface of it's potential HP. Kokeln actually responds to emails directed to Lindsey. Kind of like sending an email to SFR about turbos on a 951 and getting reply from an anonymous Garrett manufacturer instead of Tim. Of course, this would never happen and is just an analogy of how some do business. BTW my LBE is for SALE $50 . It worked as advertised, but my 951 is not stock anymore so Apexi AVC-R EBC will be next upgrade to reduce lag. Danno says his Apexi works as avertised, though a few graphs and inj. duty cycle are limited.
http://www.speedforceracing.com/ http://home.austin.rr.com/mirror/ http://www.huntleyracing.com/ http://www.lindseyracg.com/
Old 12-27-2001, 01:17 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 3 in SS exhaust from a custom local shop. My 26/6 makes peak boost @ 2850 rpm and I love being able to hear the turbo. (No cat and 2 resonators.)
Old 12-27-2001, 02:06 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

How much can one find a Tial for, and, will it bolt right up to a stock sized exhaust? I've been considering a nicer wastegate for a long time, and Jon Milledge had sent me a return e-mail about some things, and had mentioned his high opinion of the Tial, so I've always held them in high regards. The only reason I have yet to pursue it is b/c I believe my engine is in need of a rebuild first (before adding chips and other performance enhancing products)...
Old 12-28-2001, 10:18 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

I would HIGHLY reccommend the LINDSEY Wastegate. I LOVE mine and it was a very easy bolt on!
Old 12-28-2001, 05:44 PM
M@951
Advanced

Lukesilver,
Pro-flow is what we all know, Modern Performance is distibutor I guess, is that correct? Plenty of unfavorable reviews about Pro-flow on the list section, not found on the boards much. I will post a review of my Huntley MAF3. Should be the same stuff as before....better high end and more throttle response instead of on/off boosting
Old 12-29-2001, 02:16 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Cool

yes to some degree (OT???)

I cannot find n/e archives on the pro flow. I am relatively new to the list and seemed to have missed the "pro flow" disscussions.

Regardless I will have dyno #'s for the MAF 3 in exhaust/test pipe, LR wastegate and stage two chips soon. (stock 26/6)
Old 12-30-2001, 01:36 PM
TurboTim
Banned

We sell the Tial wastegate for $495.The bolt-on package is another $150.You get to keep your old stock wastegate and re-sell it to offset your costs.You do not have to use it as a core and pay an extra $300 until Lindsey Racing gets it back.

On another note, the Tial is so far superior to the Lindsey unit it isnt even funny.The Lindsey unit is just a stock wastegate with a new acutator assembly.A quite big acutator at that.One of the real problems withthe stock wastegate besides not havung dual-ports is the fact that the valve is forced out of the valvebody when it opens.The Tials, Deltagates,etc.... have valves that are pushed intot he valvebody. The benefit of this is that it is much harder for exhaust to push the valve inward then it is to force it out.Actually forcing it out is much easier becasue the exhaust picks up velocity on the backside of the valve.What htis m,eans to you is that boost the will bleed off.We have tested the Lindsey unit on the dyno and it bled boost just like a stocker.When it was set at 15 psi it would make 15 psi about 4000 rpms and then proceed to fall off too 11 psi by 5000 rpms.This is the same BS as stock.

As far as exhaust systems go......nobody makes a better system then us for the prices we charge. Nobody!

Luke,

If you remember our phone conversation, the crappy $100 cat-back we sold you was not the exhaust systems that we build. It was done by a muffler shop down the street on a crimp bender. It was hevy aluminized steel and it had taken alot of abuse over the course of five years but served its purpose well.This is why we sold it for $100. Please do not mistake this exhaust as an SFR exhaust because it is not. Please do not tell people that it is an SFR exhaust because it is not.Our products are so superior that they cannot even be compared to this thing. If you have any doubts about us Luke, call us on Monday and I will make you a killer deal on a nice, fully polished 304SS testpipe.Take care.

Tim
86 951 http://www.speedforceracing.com
Old 12-31-2001, 12:01 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Mr. Tim,

I'm afraid you have me mistaken for somebody else (I'm trying really hard not to get offended because I know this must be an honest mistake).
I have 3in ss mandrel bent system from a local Muscle Car fab. shop name "performance fabrication and engineering" They did an ABSOLUTE beautiful job. Every time I have the car up somebody comments on the quality. The total cost came to $300. I have not seen your systems nor have I commented on them. IN fact I was blow away by the deal I got. If I hadn't gotten such a deal I MOST DEFFINATELY would have bought your setup. (I believe I have even reccommended your company to several associates)
I have NEVER spoken to you on the phone. I beleive I have sent you several emails asking about your turbos. Hmmm.
And I apologize that I might have suggested fellow rennlisters to check out local exhaust shops because there are deals out there!!!!. (IM an 18 yr old punk and I can't afford to spend $1,500 on a MAF. SO I buy a Modern Performance kit.)
Dont wait up for my call man.
Old 12-31-2001, 12:33 AM
TurboTim
Banned

Luke,

I mistook you for another Luke. That post was not meant to offend anyone, though. If I do offend someone, I wouldnt offer them a deal on a testpipe;^) Take care.

Tim
86 951 http://www.speedforceracing.com
Old 12-31-2001, 12:35 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

with my MBC set at 16lbs. I see 15 @ 6300 rpms. The LR wastegate seems to do the job just fine for my application. Boost hits sharp @ around 2850 rpm and the MBC works wonderful. I had no problems reading the installation papers. I just like the anodised colors. Think It's a very attractive unit. If the attractiveness of the unit didn't matter........we wouldn't be buying ss exhaust systems would we??? As for the superiority of the tial kit........I dont have a clue. I wouldn't see the difference anyway. Everything I know (not much) I learned from reading Corky Bell's Maxium Boost over and over.....lol.. I am just a real person out there with an opinion. (an ammature too!)
But before I spend $400+ dollars on an item you can be d@mned sure that I read up on whats avalible!!!!! At the time everything else was a weld on and I had just had m exhaust finished. (took 2 days) And I didn't want to have them butcher the beautiful work they had done.
Does any body wanna comment on some of my other choices. What do you think Guys??? Should I go to school at Kettering or down to Georgia Tech?

happy New Year's
Old 12-31-2001, 12:48 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by TurboTim:
<STRONG>Luke,

That post was not meant to offend anyone, though. If I do offend someone, I wouldnt offer them a deal on a testpipe;^)

Tim
86 951 http://www.speedforceracing.com</STRONG>
Man I guess you wont be giving many deals on test pipes this year then....

You think I am attempting to sucker you into giving me a deal on a test pipe???

I dont even know what to say to that. I was gonna place an order this week for a turbo from you. (but you dont see much profit from those any way)

I know that you're a good guy. You're driving a P-car.

Happy O'lidays Mr. Tim
Old 12-31-2001, 01:42 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Why do I feel like I just cost myself 2 stars....ROF. O well.

ps there is a huge difference between my stock (remanned actually) wastegate and my lidsey unit. Since there is no Lindsey representation. Maybe I will make a couple dyno runs on my stock unit and my lindsey unit.
Now all I need is for somebody to give me a "deal" on a Tial item so I could use it as a control???

Quick Reply: SFR Complete Exhaust Tested !