Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Intro

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While you're waiting for the WG, did you check the WG pipe for a rise in temp. If it's stuck open the WG exit will be hot. If closed, it wont be. I think Clarks has a write-up, or I've seen one, but its common sense. Your hand will work, if you're careful, but this is a good chance to buy a cheap horror freight temp gun. I've used that thing on everything from my kids forehead to aircraft exhausts. (He got tylenol, the plane got an injector)
Old 05-02-2011, 09:02 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MooreBoost
once the weather warms up we should gofor a drive
I'm in! Just as soon as I track down this elusive boost I've heard so much about...
Old 05-02-2011, 09:19 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Thanks for the suggestions! The wastegate exit pipe should have been common sense for me to check, but you'll have to get my wife's take on my common sense capabilities. Will certainly perform this check tomorrow and report back.

Pressurization test fitting sounds easy enough to fabricate, but I'm a little unsure as to where this fitting would be inserted in order to pressurize the intake circuit. AFM end of the J boot?

Thanks again everyone. Great to have the wisdom and experience of those who have been there-done that as I track this down.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Tay-Tay
Instructor

Originally Posted by MooreBoost
once the weather warms up we should gofor a drive
I'm up for it, I just need about a month to get my engine back in the car, and for some vacation time.

Taylor
Old 05-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Tay-Tay
Instructor

Originally Posted by EJZero1
Thanks for the suggestions! The wastegate exit pipe should have been common sense for me to check, but you'll have to get my wife's take on my common sense capabilities. Will certainly perform this check tomorrow and report back.

Pressurization test fitting sounds easy enough to fabricate, but I'm a little unsure as to where this fitting would be inserted in order to pressurize the intake circuit. AFM end of the J boot?

Thanks again everyone. Great to have the wisdom and experience of those who have been there-done that as I track this down.
I put my tester in the turbo side IC boot, I don't have a CV so I get most of the common leaks this way. I have a wastgate I'm not using, any fair offer and it is yours. If you'll be driving through Summit you can come grab it.

Taylor
Old 05-03-2011, 06:42 PM
EJZero1
Pro

OK then...

Armed with the latest addition to my tool arsenal, I start the car and aim my trusty infrared thermometer at the wastegate exhaust pipe. After 5 minutes of idling, this pipe is no hotter than it was before I started the car. Crossover pipe and exhaust pipe leading to the cat were warm and toasty. So, in my admittedly limited knowledge of all things turbo, this would lead me to believe my wastegate is not stuck open. (I just hate it when you don't find the smoking gun you were looking for...)

So what's next? Haven't checked for significant vacuum leaks yet, but wouldn't a leak big enough to affect boost to this magnitude be quite noticable?

Not really that frustrated yet, but anxious to figure this out.

Awaiting further guidance, oh gurus of boost.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:49 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the fins on the turbo. Also reach in side (with the engine off) and see what type of movement the impeller has front /back side/ side

Your crossover pipe is also double walled you could be experiencing a collapsed inner pipe which would cause your problem You would have to check that by taking the pipe off and then rolling a golf ball or something like that through the pipe
Attached Images   
Old 05-03-2011, 08:11 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Here's a new finding to ponder...

Did some more "exploring" with my new thermometer and though this was curious; There's a significant difference in temps between the passenger/exhaust end of the crossover pipe and the drivers side where it turns up towards the turbo. As in a couple of hundred degrees. Is there a normal explanation for this, or might this nod towards the collapsed crossover pipe as mentioned above?

Just shootin' in the dark here.

Thanks again!
Old 05-03-2011, 10:20 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EJZero1
Here's a new finding to ponder...

Did some more "exploring" with my new thermometer and though this was curious; There's a significant difference in temps between the passenger/exhaust end of the crossover pipe and the drivers side where it turns up towards the turbo. As in a couple of hundred degrees. Is there a normal explanation for this, or might this nod towards the collapsed crossover pipe as mentioned above?

Just shootin' in the dark here.

Thanks again!
Boom HEAD SHOT! There shouldnt be significant difference in the temperature if it was operating normally

Its not very common i guess thats why people havent suggested it. i can only imagine the difference in temp from inside to out that could cause a pipe to collapse like that

Last edited by carlege; 05-03-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:40 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

I haven't dissected a Xover pipe, but if your temp measurement was really close to where double wall begins, and 18 inches later in the double wall, I'd expect a pretty good drop in temp.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:49 AM
EJZero1
Pro

Which of course begs the question: Can anyone provide some insight into where the double walled portion of the crossover pipe begins and ends?

In the meantime, I'll be tracking down and cleaning grounds today. Read a story here in my searches where someone having boost issues cleaned a very nasty bellhousing ground and the issues were resolved. I know it's a long shot, but the grounds project likely needs to be done anyway.

Thanks, and please keep the ideas coming!
Old 05-04-2011, 11:25 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought it was only the turbo elbow that was double walled and that was where the problem usually was? But all that weird A$$ piping, turbo on the wrong side stuff is kinda strange to me!
Old 05-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

I think its the insulation for gases to stay as hot as possible.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:21 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Voith
I think its the insulation for gases to stay as hot as possible.
Aww, that explains why! Now what about where, the double walls are? I thought it was only the turbo elbow?
Old 05-04-2011, 02:01 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Well, the "turbo elbow" is where I've been measuring the significantly lower temps, so I guess that pretty much explains that. I recall reading another symptom of the collapsed crossover is noticably reduced gases coming out the exhaust end. Mine seems pretty normal. That being said, I might take her down to a local exhaust shop and have them check the cat. I understand restricted/collapsed cat will result in reduced boost due to the reduced flow.

I haven't discussed DME/KLR as a possible fault. Likelihood? Anyone in the Colorado Springs area have a known spare laying around they'd be willing to let me plug in as a test?

Thanks much.

Quick Reply: Intro