Notices

Can you use stock pistons in a sleeved Block?

Old 12-18-2001, 10:25 PM
sprbxr
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Can you use stock pistons in a sleeved Block?

I am going to start building an engine for my car. The block has two scored cylinders. What are my options? Should I sleeve all four or bore all four? It is my understanding that the cylinders are coated. Does anyone perform this operation?Larger displacement is not really an issue.

Justin
Old 12-19-2001, 03:12 AM
Danno
Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nope, you'll have to get new pistons with sleeves as the iron-coating on the stock pistons won't work with steel sleeves.

Also the cylinders are not coated. The silicon surface is exposed through a honing process that takes out the aluminum in the block's alloy and leaves a harder silicon surface. Depending upon how deep the scoring is, you can just hone it with the approved process, or bore & hone it and get 0.5mm larger pistons. Garrity has them for a good price.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: