Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Aftercooling ..turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 06:16 AM
PorscheLars
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aftercooling ..turbo

My water pump (turbo circulation) stops after 30 second, but the water start boiling after that. The temp sensor on the turbo is new, (and with the old one it did not start at all).

The reason for the boiling is
1: the hot side on the turbo is wrapped with 6 layers Termotec
2: the circulation pump stops after 30 seconds.

Is there any easy way to get the pump to run for 120 sec?

Old 01-29-2003, 07:37 AM
86-951
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Easy is a relative term. The turbo waterpump "relay" houses a circuit based on a 555 timer chip. The delay time (time the pump is on) is basically set by a capacitor discharging through a resistor. Changing one or both of these components would change the delay time. There are several other components in this circuit to deal with the dual activation - shutting off the car and the temperature sensor - so the appropriate component(s) would have to be identified by tracing the circuit out. It’s possible but a fair amount of trouble.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:15 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Perhaps it's easiest to build a seperate switch and battery wiring to the turbo water pump.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:12 AM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

All you have to do is ground the sensor and it will run for another 30 seconds. At track days when it's really hot I do it by hand. It would be easy to make a remote switch to ground it.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:22 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Interesting, where's the sensor located?

EDIT: Also, is the 30 second delay in-built in the pump?
Old 01-29-2003, 01:47 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You might have a wiring problem with your water-pump circuit. When you turn off your car, there should be an immediate 30-second run on the water-pump regardless of the condition of the temp-sensor on the turbo. In fact, you can disconnect it completely and you'll still get the 30-second cool-down run. This is only activated by the water pump relay when you turn off the car.

The thermoswitch is on the water-tube leading out of the turbo. It SHOULD automatically trigger the relay to turn on the water pump as needed if water-temps are above the trigger point. And it SHOULD continuously reactivate the relay as long as necessary until water-temps drop below the trigger point. I've come out of shopping trips and the water-pump's still running after 30-minutes.

Something may be wrong with your wiring or you may have an incorrect temp-range on your thermoswitch....
Old 01-29-2003, 08:22 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If all else fails, add one of these.

<a href="http://www.amperite.com/dod.htm" target="_blank">http://www.amperite.com/dod.htm</a>
Old 01-30-2003, 01:15 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Also, is the 30 second delay in-built in the pump?"

The timer circuit is built into the water-pump relay.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:01 PM
PorscheLars
Advanced

You might have a wiring problem with your water-pump circuit..

Hmm..

I split the water pump relay and it look like pin 15b(ground) and TS (temp sensor ?) schould be conected. The internal conection look like it is broken. If it is so, it's easy to repair. If not I still have a problem. (the sensor is new);-)
Old 01-31-2003, 01:23 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think you want to connect TS to ground unless you want to by-pass the TS. The TS has two connections, one to ground and the other to the relay. When the TS is wants to signal the relay to turn on, is closes, connecting the TS pin to ground. Look at what Russ said above.

Relay wiring
<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=003795" target="_blank">http://forums.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=0037 95</a>
Old 01-31-2003, 08:58 PM
PorscheLars
Advanced

Yes, what a jackass I am..

The reason it did'ent work at all before was probably not the temp sensor but broken cable into the pump. When I tested the pump I pulled the cabel a litle so it gets contact witout knowing.. fit the new sensor and everyting sems beeing ok for 4 months .. Now it stopped again so I discovered the bad conection on the cable. I pull the cable and the pump starts and stops. but it still allways stops after 30 second so I have to check the temp sensor wiereing and trigger point and see if this work properly. If all seems to be ok, I have to switch to a sensor with lower trigger point.

Billion thanks for helping.

Quick Reply: Aftercooling ..turbo