Service/FUN in Tulsa/ Jet Hot report

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002, 03:28 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Service/FUN in Tulsa/ Jet Hot report

Well I just pulled into the driveway from Tulsa and Charlesworth Inc. In the past three days I have learned more about my car and had more fun than I thought possible "wrenching". Tom Charlesworth was absolutely great,,,and so was Shaun, a new mechanic to Toms shop who is quickly becoming the "clutch man".

I found the atmosphere to be totally supportive of PORSCHE,,,helping with mods, answering questions, directing what to do next; it was fun!

What started as oil pan gasket and rod bearings, turned into clutch, P&P head, new turbo, clutch, sensors, radiator, new A/C comp, and several "eye" catching options.

Many, many thanks to Scott(slevy) and Ken(KLA)- it was great to meet you and toss cold ones!! KLA,,who is not a "LOSER". It is a fun place to be at that shop at 5pm! The cam tower is incredible guys! My wife even went wow. I hope to have pics up or maybe Scott can of my motor,,now that we have the boost under control..the first drive was "breaking tires loose"!!! So,,,if you are ever in Tulsa; you know where to go.

The clutch was first,,good thing too, down to the rivets. INstalled, new rear main seal, pilot bearing, Garritys lightened flywheel, clutch kit(Sachs Sport), rear transaxle, and new axle(s).

Next came getting the top off, get to the crossover pipe, to do the oil pan gasket and rod bearings. Since I purchased the LR 3 pc cross member(good) and LR 3 pc crossover pipe,,the install of these items was going to be quick. Well,,yes my number 2 was about to let go at 75k. There was quite a bit of copper showing through. All the others were in good shape,,the worst of that group being number 3. I found a new trick for the oil pan gasket but I've been warned not to let it get out; it is so ingenious and so simple.

Well after replacing all of that it was time to pull the head. Cylinder walls looked almost new. There were a few minor lines at the very top,,SMALL on #3 but at the very top. The piston tops had very minimal build up,,real good shape. Went back with a LR stage II head, WFR of course.

We then got the new Kokeln turbo installed. If you install one of these,,the lower oil passage will have to be ground on the front side from the center to the drivers side to get the housing to twist to get those DAMN mounting bolts in.

Anyway,,,its late,,,the exhaust on, Jet Hot coated,,RED cam tower with PORSCHE, the lines, and the cam tower buttons polished to a mirror shine (Scott and Ken,,excellent job in a very short time and how about that Red!) new idle air stab., new temp sensor(which turned out to be faulty - headed back to Partwerks tomorrow) and install the Jet HOt coated intake, and then Kokeln intake system.

Looks great,,runs great,,,took it off the trailer tonight,,changed the faulty temp sensor back to old one and set the boost for 16 psi..WOW! You better be pointed in the right direction.

I'm going to the dyno in two weeks,,keep you advised. Scott should have the pics up in a few days.

Regards & Goodnight
Old 04-11-2002, 09:35 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Brett!!

Man, it was great to have you. Come back for an oil change and we'll send the girls to the mall for an afternoon! Or maybe we can meet halfway sometime and go to the AQ!

So putting in the old temp sender fixed the high readings on the gauge?

Glad car is running great. Looking forward to the dyno results. Send me the pics and I'll put them up for you.

Take care and stay in touch......
Old 04-11-2002, 09:47 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Morning Slevy,,yes the old sender seemed to do the trick. I let it idle for 20 minutes, just barely got over the first mark. I did it when I got home at 11:00 last night. I'll drive it around this afternoon. IT was great to meet everybody up there. Tell Loser my wife was impressed,,LOL!
Old 04-13-2002, 07:30 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jet Hot coating: Ok,,,here are the results of the laser temp gun. First off the gun hit my freezer gauge and it was 2° off a while back and today it was 1° off the gauge. A few months ago I measured the car with the original exhaust manifolds and intake. The ambient air temp was 66° and I drove the car for 30 minutes. BEFORE Jet Hot, car still running; the exhaust manifolds were 486 - 542, measured just out of the head before the heat shielding. The turbo down pipe was 460°. The intake was 108 - 113 on the runners and the "flats" where stabilizer and KLR lines,,were 130 - 138.

AFTER Jet Hot(exhaust coated in & out, intake just outside only) Today the temp was 77° and I drove the car hard,,I'm having a slight miss in third when I floor it at 17psi( fuel, TPS,or injectors, dyno in two weeks),,anyway I drove the car for 30 minutes. Took the car home, engine still running and the temps were: exhaust manifolds 289 - 316, the turbo down pipe was 272°, the intake runners were 102 - 108 while the the "flats" were 114 - 121.

So the coating on the exhuast really showed great advantages to the inside and outside process, as did the down pipe. Intake has minimal gains,,,but it sure looks good. I'll try to have a couple of pics up tomorrow.
Old 04-13-2002, 09:02 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bret, thanks for the report on the Jet Hot coatings. Just a couple of questions:<ol type="1">[*]which parts did you have coated?[*]both on the outside and inside?[*]do you have temp-readings at the muffler?[/list=a]

I was just wondering if the heat that ended up in the engine-compartment earlier, went out the tailpipe instead.

Also on the intake-manifolds, you have to distinguish (in black-body radiation) from a heat-emitting and a heat-absorbing surface. The manifolds in this case, is an absorbing body and you would want them to be coated a light color.

And the surface temperatures would really only indicate ambient air temperatures at the surface. The real differences with the coating on the manifolds would be how much heat actually makes it INTO the manifold. So I'm sure the intake-air temperatures are more significant than the differences you measured.

Good job!
Old 04-13-2002, 09:50 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

NO I didn't measure any temps at the exhaust.

The exhaust manifolds were coated in and out, as was the turbo down pipe. The intake was only coated on the outside and I had bolts in all the threads plus, I had the injector ports blocked off with bolts,washers, and nuts; to prevent the coating from going in there.

pic of the head, exhaust, intake, and injectors before they were on the car.

Old 04-15-2002, 09:02 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Slevy951,,,

did you get the pics I sent last night from my home server?
Old 04-15-2002, 09:37 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Yep, I'll have them posted up sometime today......
Old 04-15-2002, 10:20 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Rest of Ski's pics........

Old 04-16-2002, 07:18 AM
Danno
Race Director

Thumbs down

I see your #2 rod-bearings looks similar to mine!
Old 04-16-2002, 08:15 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah it was not long for life! All the others looked good,,#3 being the worst.
Old 04-16-2002, 07:40 PM
Danno
Race Director

What kind of mileage did you have? I replaced mine at 195k-miles!
Old 04-17-2002, 12:44 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

only 75k Danno,,,there was a previous maintenance record of the turbo blowing the oil seals. I think the previous owner ran it low on oil or let it run at half a quart low all the time. They cylinder walls looked really good and crank looked good thank goodness.

Right now I seem to maxing out my 52# injectors at full boost, 17psi in third; my injector duty cycle is going to 100%. So I'm slowly turning up the fuel. A/F is reading 14.7 to 16 at idle,,going to 13.2 to 12.6 on boost. I have some dyno time scheduled in two weeks. I'm going to get Dwain Dement on the phone while at the dyno and see what happens from there.
Old 04-17-2002, 04:54 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

what is the turbine and comp wheel size on Kokeln's stage 5? Did they leave a Turbonetics seal on it?
Old 04-17-2002, 06:32 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Had the grind mark on the hot side and I'm not sure on the compressor sizes.

Quick Reply: Service/FUN in Tulsa/ Jet Hot report