Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Autopower bolt-in roll cage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2002, 07:57 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
actualy the autopower roll cage says it's bolt in. I do plan this to be a street/track car, but it won't be a very practical street car with a cage, 5points, Sparco seats, 400# springs, a butt load of powere.
Old 04-13-2002, 08:26 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sure sound like you have a race setup. I looked at the site and there it is in big print, bolt in cage; I wonder how many pieces a bolt in cage comes in? I don't see any data to back this up but I bet a welded cage is a lot stronger then a bolt in one.
Old 04-14-2002, 12:17 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I were you (and committed to the purchase), I'd START with the autopower and MODIFY it for a better end result.

The rear mounting points attach to the floorpan. I'd rather see them on the boxed channels. The front legs hit the floorpans (again) more rearward than necessary, removing potential legroom for entry/egress. The slip collars (which you are supposed to drill yourself) are NOT a tight fit on the bars they connect. Additionally, one of the stubs for the header bar was welded at the wrong angle (but could be made to work) on the one we are installing currently.

I say, unbox the thing (if you've already ordered it) do a mock assembly in the car, and then really thing about the protection you're getting if your car goes rolling down the track...

If it were me, the welder would come out and some floor reinforcements would be made (heavy plate that was bent to follow the contour of the box channel down onto the floorpan where the bar attaches) and the rollcage pieces would be WELDED together, AT LEAST.

I don't trust floor pans not to puch through, and loose collars not to allow movement/shearing, but hey, perhaps I'm paranoid...

If you're not opposed to welding the AutoPower, it can be made into Fort Knox, I'm sure. I for one, will be getting a custom made, welded in place rollbar in my car (it can grow into a cage later), but then I live in NASCARland...

Just my .02
Old 04-14-2002, 08:31 PM
Paul Bloomberg
Pro

Keith,
I appreciate your response. I will have a friend that welds check it out, then see if we can make it stronger. It is crazy when I think about it, safety equipment shouldn't be the place to cut costs. DAH!!!! I mean, I can always come up with more money for HP?
However, I am finding out that suspension/setup is where it's at! At least for me till I get alot more experience that I can use the HP.
Paul.

Quick Reply: Autopower bolt-in roll cage?