Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Bucking / Stuttering on hot days

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 08:28 PM
Jeremy Martin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Bucking / Stuttering on hot days

Hi all.. Heres the problem. last summer the car would start siezing and bucking on hot days or if i ran it hard, and would stay like this till i let it cool down. the car wasnt overheating. then winter came, and all was fine. today it was a beautiful 60 degree day out, so i went for a spin with a gtech pro. after going to a truck scale to get the car weighed (3020 lbs without the driver, and with a full tank and a couple odds and ends in it), i took off. my best hp rating was 260 at the wheels, but after running it hard it started to buck and sieze just like last summer. now, i did run it this hard during the winter without any problems, and it goes away if the car can cool down for 30 minutes, so i really think it's related to possible detonation because of a saturated intercooler. what do you guys think? has anyone run into a problem like this before? just so you all know, the engine was rebuilt at 60k with alot of head work, is chipped (autothority stage II), and now has 109k. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-11-2002, 08:13 PM
Water944t
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm... I cant help much, but this sounds like a perfect car for the intercooler misting system that was mentioned in another post.

a small water reserve (maybe even use the windshield washer bottle), connected to a small pump, and then misted onto the front of the intercooler with the same kind of plastic misters you would put up on your porch. That way the entire intercooler gets evaporative cooling as you drive. It would be pretty chep to try, probly less than $40.

I put up misters in my bar, on the patio. Over 1000sq. ft. misted for under $150. And the customers loved it on hot evenings. I bet a 951 would love it too.
The other post claimed a fairly significant drop in temps even in 100 degree weather.
You can get the parts at any Wal-Mart or home improvement shop like Home Depot.

Are you getting any indications of overtemp on the gauges? Maybe a new thermostat too.

Quick Reply: Bucking / Stuttering on hot days