Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Brake Fluid Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 01:58 PM
Robwsup
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Brake Fluid Replacement

Anyone have a good procedure for replacing brake fluid and bleeding brakes? I know the basics but need to know an tricks/tips. Also which brake fluid do you guys like? This is my daily driver, so I don't really want to spend the money on ATE Blue or whatever. I heard that Ford HD brake fluid is suitable maybe? Thanks.

Robert
Old 03-24-2003, 02:21 PM
W88951
Burning Brakes

I highly recommend the use of Speed Bleeders. They are a device that replaces the standard bleeding nipple in the brake caliper. It allows one person to bleed the brakes. Here is a link to the ones that fit your car.

<a href="http://www.944racing.com/Search/ViewDetails.asp?PartNumber=SB1010S&Model=951&CarYear=87&NumberType=OEM&h idSearchType=Main" target="_blank">http://www.944racing.com/Search/ViewDetails.asp?PartNumber=SB1010S&Model=951&CarYear=87&NumberType=OEM&h idSearchType=Main</a>

Also, the Ate Super Blue or Gold is very good fluid, especially for the street. On Race cars, I recommend using the Motul RBF 600, but it is very pricey for the street. A 1 litre bottle of Ate is less than $11 and is generally adequate for a complete Purge and replacement of fluid.

<a href="http://www.944racing.com/Search/ViewDetails.asp?PartNumber=SUPERBLUE&Model=951&CarYear=87&NumberType=OEM &hidSearchType=Main" target="_blank">http://www.944racing.com/Search/ViewDetails.asp?PartNumber=SUPERBLUE&Model=951&CarYear=87&NumberType=OEM &hidSearchType=Main</a>

I have also found that using a Vacum Pump to pull all of the old fluid out and suck the new to the caliper saves alot of time and pumping of the brakes. You still use the same method of bleeding the caliper farthest from the brake Master Cylinder and moving to the closest.

Hope this Helps

W88951
Old 03-24-2003, 03:49 PM
boostaholic
Instructor

Does one have to bleed the clutch at the same time as the brakes on a 951? I've heard conflicting opinions.
Old 03-24-2003, 03:59 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can do brakes independantly from cluth no problem, just dont let the fluid level drop too low or you WILL have to do the clutch as well. It is good practice to do both as I've seen at least one 951 with decent clean brake fluid and putrid clutch fluid in the lines! That's a terrible way to treat a P.car.

ATE blue ($13/qt.) is not that much more per oz than other fluids other than shelf-type Pep Boys stuff. I consider it bargain-performance fluid. Brake fluid is as, if not more, important as pads in my book and people spend 3 figures on pads just for that little extra. To each his own there.

Also, I've used Speed-bleeders ($30) and used the Promotive Power-bleeder ($45) and can say the Powerbleeder is a better investment. Use it on multiple cars and makes the job quicker and easier.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:35 AM
ringo951
Burning Brakes

Power Bleeder by Promotive is by far the best way to do a brake job. I have done it every other way, and this takes the cake. So super easy, and a total one man job. No more suckering your budies in to pumping the brake pedal.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:36 AM
ringo951
Burning Brakes

Oh, yea go with the ATE super blue. I got it for $9 a quart at Pelican Parts. Real easy to see when you have flushed the old fluid out.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:16 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there a website that explains how brake "bleeding" works? Are you basically draining the brake fluid through the brake lines at the calipers? How do you get the fluid out of the calipers?

I don't really understand how the clutch and brakes share the same fluid also.

I've read all kinds of texts on how to do it, but none of them explain exactly why to do it that way, or what is happening as you are doing it.

It's the only thing I'm not clear on with this car.

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Replacement