Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

All the recent "buyer beware" statements...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 07:02 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by superjet.1:
<strong>Id call it RENN-BAY. sounds like another top notch idea!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">
Old 01-25-2003, 08:55 PM
Toolmaster
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Membership to buy or sell did cross my mind, but I'm a bit concerned about that idea. Rationale is that so FEW of us are real members, it could be problematic initially.

If escrow.com charges 8 bucks for a transaction, and renn-whatever charges 4 bucks for members, then I think that's incentive alone if a person does more than 4 transactions a year. (17.95 for a year's membership for rennlist saves you 50% on unlimited transactions... Hmmmm..)

Methinks I have an idea here.
Old 01-25-2003, 08:56 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts
Jay,
You aren't plannig to move to one of those remote islands are you ;-)

Put me in,

Alan
Old 01-25-2003, 09:10 PM
Toolmaster
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Alan -

Not to my knowledge, though my wife is SICK of the cold up here in New Hampsh-brrrrrr.

I was merely brainstorming cause we've had a rash of "Buyer Beware" type stuff. A middleman that people trust, or a middle-agency like thing, could alleviate issues.

Oh - and it's a revenue source for Rennlist. I wouldn't make a dime, unless Mr. D wanted me as a full time employee - and I ain't cheap. Uh - at least when it comes to the family and food, housing, and Porsches...

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2003, 12:03 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Excellent idea! I'd use it.
Old 01-26-2003, 01:54 AM
SherionG
Intermediate

Sounds like a good idea. Here is an example of an issue that would have to be addressed:
a. How long would the buyer have to review and return the product, if it does not neet the purpose intented, before he/she is demmed to have taken ownership due to the time in possession?
I recently purchased a product through this website from a guy in Cali and the sale ($350) went well. Good luck, but I would get some insight from a lawyer, before getting started.
Old 01-26-2003, 02:43 AM
krickmann
Instructor

I like the idea too!! At a minimum, both parties using the service should be registered with the board and their information should be complete, up to date and reviewed by the administrator before proceeding with the transaction. Specific guidelines pertaining to the distrubution of funds and receipt of goods should also be implemented for legal purposes.
And Jay, if you do take off with the money and move to an island, you're buying the beer for all Rennlist members who come to your island on vacation!
Old 01-26-2003, 03:26 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

i think i'd use it for something expensive (like if i have to source a new bottom end) but not for more trivial parts.... then agian, i'm fairly trusting and would really hope nobody here would run off w/ my $$. besides, if you use paypal/visa or a postal money order you have some legal protection / rights (or so i understand) so for cheaper items, i doubt i'd use escrow unless it was a VERY small percentage / rate.
Old 01-26-2003, 09:31 AM
Toolmaster
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

SherionG and Dmoffet make some good points.

Personally, I wouldn't use escrow for a 10 dollar part, but when I hit the hundredish or so mark, from a protection perspective I'd seriously consider it. If it were cheap, reliable, and of course the guy or whatever on the Escrow end were a trusted member or someone I knew or at least knew of.

hmmmm.
Old 01-26-2003, 02:01 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just an idea:

The escrow thing sounds good in theory.. but I don't know how many people would use it. How about a feedback type form where it sticks with some ones name and people that buy and sell stuff can post a response on the others profile. No one wants there name tarnished especially if they are almost to GURU and would have to start all over again to get the record clear over a little matter of shipping something on time.

It would have to be an open post that only mod's can edit after it was submitted... incase there is any trash talk when something was not ever sold. I have been given a few things and thus gave a few things to other listers for just shipping costs. Things I didnt need that I didn't feel like ebaying at the time. It would be a nice recognition for good deeds or good service that would stick with you.

What cha think?
Old 01-26-2003, 08:35 PM
AC
Instructor

Excellent idea.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:36 AM
CurlyDE
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would be interested in this also. I agree with dgz924s, membership should be required!
Old 01-27-2003, 11:59 AM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

If I bought something off Rennlist, I'd use the service.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:11 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It would be a useful service, although possibly hard to manage disputes with all those nit-pickers out there. Lots of grey areas.

Also, sellers not familar with Rennlist might not want to use an escrow service they are not familar with. Sellers get ripped off too.

But hey, you have to start somewhere. The devil is in the details.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:00 PM
AMCPILOT
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 22 Posts
YES I most definitely would!

Quick Reply: All the recent "buyer beware" statements...