Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tach not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003 | 12:03 AM
Smithtw
Intermediate

Red face Tach not working

Could anyone give me some hints on where to start looking if my tach is not working. I did try a complete new gauge cluster with no success. that was the easy thing to rule out. Now I'm not even sure where to begin? Thanks!
Old 01-26-2003 | 12:57 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

The tach gets it's signal from a black/green wire coming from the DME which is under the passenger foot board. Have you or the PO had the DME out to chip it? Bad stereo install?
Old 01-27-2003 | 12:57 AM
Smithtw
Intermediate

It does look like it had a bad stereo install at one time and I do not know if the PO installed a chip or even messed with the DME at all. The factory wires coming from the DME appear untouched. I'm not even sure the plywood had ever been disturbed. I do have the "plywood" (hehe) pulled foward at this time and and am looking at the DME and frankly I'm stumped. I am in the middle of a complete dash replacement so I am pulling just about everything out. Do you have suggestions where to look on the DME for the green/black wire on the DME. I'm pretty good with wiring and this car's wiring loom scares the hell out of me! Any ideas are greatly welcome. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2003 | 08:22 AM
Danno
Race Director

Take your time and go through each and every single wire in your DME harness until you find that small green/black-stripe wire. Then find the other end where it goes into the tach. Do a continuity test on both ends of this wire to make sure it's not broken somewhere in the middle.
Old 01-27-2003 | 12:17 PM
Smithtw
Intermediate

Thank you (both) I'll take a look at that tonight and see what I come up with!

Quick Reply: Tach not working