Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

05' CTS-V on the same country roads I drive the 951

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 03:29 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05' CTS-V on the same country roads I drive the 951

A couple months back I compared my experience driving a modified (500hp) 2010 Camaro SS to my 951. BTW, the turbo car is running better than ever right now! Lister "Phlip" tracked down some more vacuum leaks and she is now pulling 18" vacuum at idle and pulling like a freight train! I really wanted to drive it early Sunday morning but I had this older (05') CTS-V free for the weekend with a full tank of premium.

Observations:

- I went through 3/4 tank covering roughly half the distance(!) I typically drive in the 951!

- I enjoyed the car more than the Camaro SS. Likely more than perhaps anything because of the manual transmission.

- This was a 108k vehicle with mismatched tires. Bone stock and still had the "skip shift"...only felt that twice She ran solid and pulled hard.

- Despite a well worn and sloppy shifter (they were crap when new) I still loved selecting gears and the ratios seemed well suited. Once the revs were up it stayed there. I can see where these engines would like the ratios in our cars. I have a short throw shifter in the 951 PLUS the driving position is ideal in Porsche. I was constantly adjusting the seat trying to get settled in.

- the old V had good "feel" on the edge and I played with it (a little tail wag here and there!). The Camaro I was not that confidant! I was carrying more speed coming out of corners than the Camaro. We all know the "feel" of our 951's...plus mine has 285/18's on the back with Weltmeisters, etc.

- the only pucker factor came when the suspension came "up" after a dip...rebound I guess you would call it. I am sure the contact patch was lessened at that time. Never bottomed though.

- On my one long narrow straight (with great sight and no side roads) she seemed to pull harder at high speeds than the Camaro but not better than the 951.

- I drove the car in "competitive mode" as far as the ESV (Stabilatrak) setting. I noticed the system warning "engaged" as few times though only "felt" it once. As I took my last turn to head home (three lanes wide) I wanted to drift it...it said "NO" violently in competitive mode. I know, I know, I should have had it off altogether for that kind of maneuver.

- all in all a solid performer and very fun to run through the gears. I have driven these many times before including some modified ones. Therefore I was probably a little more comfortable with it. Plus, these cars are fairly raw...and I like that. I think the raw feeling adds to the experience.

- If I owned it I'm afraid I'd lunch the weak IRS, wheelhop is significant in these cars though there are some fixes. Once rolling the car will reward you with nice 2nd AND third gear scratches!
Old 04-18-2011, 06:36 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like how I'd predict it to drive .. try a newer v if you ever get a chance. Big power difference between the ls6/2 and the lsa.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:39 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onspeed
Sounds like how I'd predict it to drive .. try a newer v if you ever get a chance. Big power difference between the ls6/2 and the lsa.
oh yeah...I've driven a number of times including the new V Coupe! just not an extended drive on my favorite route

Quick Reply: 05' CTS-V on the same country roads I drive the 951