Engine 'hiccup' upon deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 12:54 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Engine 'hiccup' upon deceleration

When I lift my foot off the throttle to decelerate, the engine (drivetrain?) has a sort of very annoying hiccup as if the RPM's were too low for a fraction of a second. If I then press on the brakes or if I engage the clutch pedal, it goes away.

Any ideas?
Old 03-22-2003, 03:52 PM
Chas
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sometimes my car will "stumble" just a bit when decel. from like 3 - 2k. I kinda ignore it and blame it on backpressure (???). It's like the engine kinda just bumps a few times on decel.

Anyone else have similar experiences?
Old 03-22-2003, 04:11 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

I have experienced those symptoms with a mis-adjusted TPS. It sounds like the throttle switch doesn't go to the closed position when you remove your foot from the decelerator.

To test this, at the throttle body, make sure that the throttle switch makes a slight click when the throttle is closed. If it doesn't make this click when the throttle is closed, either the switch is mis-adjusted or it is bad.

Sometimes this adjustment can be influenced by heat, such that you experience these problems after driving for a long period of time.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:58 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve: TPS (throttle switch).
I read in the Haynes manual that this has to be checked with an ohmmeter. However, you seem to imply that just the clicking sound is indicative of its condition. Now, stupid question (I know next to nothing about mechanics, but I'm willing to learn): To check the throttle switch, must the engine be on?
Old 03-22-2003, 09:28 PM
Chas
Pro

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica"> It sounds like the throttle switch doesn't go to the closed position when you remove your foot from the decelerator. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">SWEET, we have a DEcelerator as well as an accelerator???

I guess I am missing out, I only gots three pedals...
Old 03-22-2003, 09:39 PM
RJP 951
Racer

Check the tension in your throttle cable. If it's too tight it will prevent the TPS from closing consistently. This happened to me after I "adjusted" the throttle cable thinking I was doing something useful!

Ron
Old 03-23-2003, 06:24 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

RJP 951 wrote:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Check the tension in your throttle cable. If it's too tight it will prevent the TPS from closing consistently.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Actually it appears kinda loose. When the throttle is closed, the cable is slightly bowed upwards.

Steve Lavigne wrote:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Sometimes this adjustment can be influenced by heat, such that you experience these problems after driving for a long period of time.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Funny about the heat thing. I've noticed that this does not happen when the engine has just reached operating temperature. Rather, it happens after about 10 minutes of driving, but is not influenced by speed or 'hard' driving.

Any more ideas out there?

Quick Reply: Engine 'hiccup' upon deceleration