Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help with Upper Radiator Hose

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 12:07 PM
2001f4s
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Help with Upper Radiator Hose

I am finally close to finishing the vacuum/coolant/fuel/power steering hose replacement project. Took me about a month longer to finish, working about an hour a week to get it done.

The final hurdle is the upper radiator hose. I am pretty sure I am doing something stupid here. But the "S" shaped hose is in place. The long part of the hose which is parallel to the radiator is rubbing against the driver side electric fan. Also the clamp on the metal hose connecting it to the thermostat housing doesn't seem to want to easily mate up with the where it connects near the alternator.

If any of this makes sense, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-18-2011, 12:33 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Had the same issue (rubbing on fan) on my car when replacing the hoses. I ended up using hose clamps to hold the hose against the hard line immediately above it. Seems to have worked thus far.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:34 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Well if the metal hose isn't bolted to it's support mount I can see it coming forward far enough to let the hose contact the fan. Try loosening the clamp at the other end of the pipe (where it connects to the head) to see if you can flex it to fit. You definitely want that pipe bolted down.

Do you have the "S" in the right orientation? IIRC one side of the "S" was longer than the other.

I have no issues with my hoses coming near the fan on my car.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:49 PM
2001f4s
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Jerome,
Thought about zip-tying to the hard pipe as well.

Omni,
I am pretty sure the hose is oriented correctly. The "s" is sharp at one end where it enters the radiator.

I am thinking that my better option may have been to mount the metal hose first, and then connect the rubber hoses. And of course I have filled and pressure tested already.

I may disconnect from thermostat housing, mount metal pipe and then play with rubber hoses from there. Or zip tie it all.

Thanks to you both.

Quick Reply: Help with Upper Radiator Hose