Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

JE Pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 12:32 AM
John.
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post JE Pistons?

Has anybody used them, if so how has the experience been?

I am going to Nickasil my block and run a forged piston....any other recommendations?

Sleeving is not an option I want to take.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:10 AM
Mark G
Advanced

Haven't used them in a 951, but have personal experience with 2 911 motors. Excellent workmanship, fit, and so far, reliability. 2 other friends are using them in 911 motors with good results also. All are race motors.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:36 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
If your are going with the Nicom (Nickasil?) process, stick with JE pistons. JE has worked closely with US Chrome, they can advise you of the clearance and provide you with rings. As you probably know, not many 944 blocks have been converted to Nicom, but from what I hear it works.
To answer your question, JE sells good products.
When you order, make sure you ask for someone (at JE) that is familiar with Porsche..

Nicom is a process I'm interested in, but I'm waiting on more feedback. So keep us updated.
Old 03-23-2003, 01:36 PM
Dave E
Pro

Just make sure you give yourself plenty of lead time for a rebuild at John's shop. I waited for 7 weeks for a cat-back that he didn't even build, I think he might have become overwhelmed with work, while trying to do his own racing as well. When I last spoke to him, on 3/14, he sounded like he could use more qualified help in the shop, although he didn't state that specifically.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:09 AM
John.
User

Thanks guys. I have completely dismantled my engine and have the block prepared for NiCom plating. Removing the studs was a major pain...big time, but now it is done. I just have a few more head and housing alignment pins to drill out and remove and I'm on my way.

Apparently, the Nicom process will destroy any steel in the block, so I have to remove all of it. studs, pins, rollpins, etc. Not a big deal, but very time consuming.

I really wanted to stick with a Mahle or Kolbenschmidt piston, but nothing forged is available in 95/96 mm. JE seems to be the best method. Boring to 100 mm to use 944 turbo pistons would weaken the towers, plus I would need custom rods to get to zero deck. The NiCom and JE piston route is cheaper and probably a lot better in the long run. Anybody priced rods lately....it is rediculous.

My car should run well on 14 psig at the manifold.

Quick Reply: JE Pistons?