Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cylinder coatings

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 06:44 PM
Pat Kennedy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Cylinder coatings

I am no longer searching for a short block, going to use the block I have (cyl. meas. 100.536) clean up the damage minimally and have J&E make some pistons for me.

The question is: What should the ideal coating on the cylinder walls be? It ain't nickasil as I'm told, what did the factory do to harden the cyl walls?
Old 01-24-2003, 07:41 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alusil was the best one.
my car after 230000 km looks new(not like new, i mean really new.) not a sigle mark on the cylinder walls.

Konstantin
Old 01-25-2003, 12:46 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Remember you'll also need an iron coating on those pistons...
Old 01-25-2003, 01:56 AM
fusionsport
Instructor

Would seriously recommend if you plan on using that block you sleeve it. Several people do really good job of it- Then you can use JE pistons, would recommend them coated(thermal barrier top, dry film lubricant sides, oil shed bottom)to enhance power and reliability
Old 01-25-2003, 12:23 PM
Pat Kennedy
Instructor

Oh yeah baby. Block will be sleeved, pistons will be given the maximum treatment.

This is all coming about because it would appear the last engine rebuild (PO) was done by Ray Charles.
Old 01-25-2003, 12:57 PM
Michael Weinstein
Instructor

Smile

Did your motor play music?!

I did a lot of research on coatings about 3 months ago. The concensus at that time was that Swain Coatings were better. They don't look pretty like Jet-Hot, but they do the job well. I know that you are talking about pistons and not exhaust headers, but the Swain exhaust coating is 7+ times thicker than its competitors. Most of the racers that I spoke with said that the Swain stuff just plain works.

As far as the piston coatings go, the coatings on the piston tops really don't last too long. After about 6 months of regular use, there isn't much of it left. But it gives you 6 months of detonation resistance and peace of mind, if the cost is worth it to you.

I have no affiliation with any company, but just thought I would pass along what I learned.
Old 01-26-2003, 01:45 AM
fusionsport
Instructor

Swain is among the best, I have used HPC and Performance Coatings with good success as well. I generally would call each to see what the turnaround times were- if Swain was backed up I would use HPC, and so on. As far as the coatings on top go I havent noticed on any of the race motors them going away, and I have a motor apart right now to see. Make sure when you coat the combustion chamber you have the valev job done and send the valves with the motor- big difference.

Quick Reply: Cylinder coatings