Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help - Problem - Autothority Stage II - LBE - 88 951S - Car dies.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002, 10:27 PM
krickmann
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Is my methodology correct in finding the optimal tuning for the LBE: replace jetted banjo, start with 10 psi setting and work up until no more than 2.0 bar indicated pressure is achieved throughout the RPM range under full throttle??
Will temperature and pressure variations significantly vary the max boost pressure?
Old 04-01-2002, 11:01 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is there a stop/peg on the boost gauge? I run mine about 4-5mm past the 2-bar mark all the time.
Old 04-03-2002, 04:24 PM
superjet.1
Pro

Smile

i have the same exact set up on my car and had about the same problem to cure it first take the jet out of the banjo bolt and run the boost enhanser at 12 psi setting.you are running to much boost and with the banjo bolt and jet you will get boost spikes up in the 20 pound area.then install and aftermarket gauge the stock unit stops at around 15 pounds or 2 bar.good luck
Old 04-03-2002, 09:54 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Danno, Upon further inspection...no it doesn't appear there is a stop.
Maybe internal?
I know when my car was running 18psi in 3rd it would peg @ 2 bar and not go beyond that...
Old 04-04-2002, 03:47 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmmm, I guess maybe my '86 has a different boost gauge. I accidentally set too much boost one time and floored it to beat a guy onto the freeway. I heard some clacking & knocking and looked down to find my boost-gauge well beyond the 2-bar mark. Looked like around 18-19psi or so...

One of the things we're forgetting is come up with an explanation that explains all of the conditions that Michael is experiencing. What about his rich condition at idle?
Old 04-04-2002, 07:48 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

I would think its a fuel pressure problem....but I'm no expert.
Old 04-04-2002, 07:52 AM
Michael Robertson
Intermediate

Cool

Thanks Guys..

It is a popular topic though...

Danno, I think that Michael2E's suggestion will end up being the result - maybe the hose is completely off..

My Dad will have a look at it next week and we will see what happens.. The car was never rich before the chips.. but afterwards is much richer..

However, I only tested the idle after I had experienced the problems/

I'll be sure to let you guys know what it ends up as..

Wouldn't it be great to have one designated guy to collate all this stuff and build some great faq's?

Doesn't it strike you as odd that collectively we together know more than authothority and Lindsey about the respective behavours of their products..

This is rich information we're generating and any entreprenuerial business should take advantage of it and build a comprehensive faq system.....

I know I would.... Sorry for the rant..

Thanks,

Michael
Old 06-02-2002, 10:50 PM
Michael Robertson
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Hey Guys,

I got my Porsche back after a couple of months from my old man and he fixed a few things on it for me..

The car now doesn't die, the leaky intake hose was the problem, and it also does not run rich.

I turned the LBE 5 turns and it doesn't seem like it's hitting a wall now and seems all ok.. but I have 1 more question.

Is it the red or the blue part that you should turn. From the instructions it says to turn the the blue part (intake housing)..

Yet when I turn it, it seems like it would run off it's thread.. and which direction, should I turn clockwise or anti clockwise?

I turned the red part instead and it made the difference I wanted it too..

Thoughts?

Michael
Old 06-02-2002, 11:32 PM
Michael Robertson
Intermediate

Guys,

Disregard that last post, the red part was what i wanted to adjust and now I've found the right instructions so that's good too .

So, with the new chips, I should turn the red valve 5 turns clockwise therefore enabling the boost enhancer to release the boost the boost to the wastegate at 15PSI.

Is this logic correct?

I turned them the wrong way yesterday, and now it opens at 5 PSI :-) which was nice , but I will try it at 15 and see how we go..

Just let me know if my logic is flawed or fine :-)

Thanks

Michael
Old 06-03-2002, 09:54 AM
special tool
Banned

I just last week did exactly what you are describing to friend's 86. We left 5-6 visible red threads after the jam nut and the Porsche bolt, and it screamed on the first try.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:58 PM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

Received 345 Likes on 220 Posts
Question

What does LBE mean?

I recently got some Autothority chips from ebay. At first the car felt sluggish but then after a few hard drives it started to bolt. 3 weeks later is still scares the @#$% out of me. I had a serious run with a 930 and the only thing keeping me back was my front tires and soft rear suspension. On a straight road I managed to pull up to him.

I also have a boost guage from a RUF 930. at times it read a full 1.0psi boost.
Not yet confirmed but at hard acceleration the rear tires feel like they are slipping.

I read some of the discussion and I wonder if the chips are programed for US spec cars and not Euro spec? I am sure the orginal program is different.

I am happy for now with the engine performance. I just need some rear Koni's and some Cup wheels.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:14 AM
Michael Robertson
Intermediate

LBE = Lindsey Boost Enhancer!

A little thing to make the turbo spool up at higher rpms..

My chips are good and fast, but I drive like a Grandma so I barely see the benefits..

Miguel

Quick Reply: Help - Problem - Autothority Stage II - LBE - 88 951S - Car dies.