Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

TEC3 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2002, 04:57 PM
Indica
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post TEC3 Questions

I am interested in upgrading my 951 to a Tec3. MY only concern is california smog. A programmable crank fire ignition system is not legal. Is there any way to rig up the tec so that the car can be reverted back to the stock air box and brains so that I can pass the visual smog inspection? I don't mind having to wrench on her a bit to get back to stock. WHat parts will I have to get extra's of? THanks for any idea's
Daniel
Old 07-01-2002, 03:49 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts
Check with Chris White at 944 enhancement. He now has a complete kit. That might offer what you are looking for. Going back to the stock system wouldn't be too bad. Just time consuming.

Chris White: whitechristopher@earthlink.net

Alan
Old 07-01-2002, 04:41 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I doubt you would have much trouble with the ignition system. They just check it with a timing light to see that the actual timing is where it should be at idle according to their specs book.

What caused me a 6-month delay in getting my car smogged was the K&N filter. The smog shop failed me on the visual inspection because of the cone filter! I tried to tell them that the 944 Turbo DOES NOT REQUIRE a thermostatic air-cleaner (sealed box with PCV & EGR). They flatly refused to look it up in their book. Took it to another shop and they wouldn't look at it because my car was marked in the computer as having failed and that I would have to take it back to the original shop that failed to get repairs made before a re-test could be done. Finally, after checking with every single smog shop in town, no one would look at it.

I finally had to drive 90-minutes up the coast to an official State of California inspection station where they went over every single test in the book! Took over two hours and they even pulled out mirrors to inspect all around the welds on my catalytic to make sure I didn't weld in a bypass pipe. They traced the hoses for my PCV and evaporative canister (pulled off fender liner to look at canister too). Pulled out the timing light and checked my timing at idle and 2500rpm.

Cool thing was the K&N cone filter PASSED!!! And the car passed the emissions testing easily with a Turbo2/MAF-4/ARC2 upgrade too!

BTW- DO NOT use Smog-It to get your smog check. They are a bunch of eeeeeeediots!

Quick Reply: TEC3 Questions