944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Just Ordered A-Tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011 | 12:20 AM
bimmen325
Racer

VR from what i have read, does not use boost to correct fuel and timing, vflex map is used to get corrections for timing.
the map from Rogue is supposed to use boost to correct fuel and timing.
I could be misinformed, but thats the reason i am here, to learn.
Old 05-19-2011 | 01:21 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
Wow, that's quite a bit less then Vitesse when I last priced it... well over $2k for MAF, chips, and V-Flex setup. I've got good info that Rogue will be substantially under that too.
You are correct, VR with PB and VFlex does pretty much double the base price. I was comparing the base/basic setups, not comparable setups. Even more reason to go with standalone when you are in the $2k+ range.
Old 05-19-2011 | 01:36 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
You are correct, VR with PB and VFlex does pretty much double the base price. I was comparing the base/basic setups, not comparable setups. Even more reason to go with standalone when you are in the $2k+ range.
I don't want involved in this..... but that statement doesn't make sense.

You aren't comparing comparable setups?
Old 05-19-2011 | 02:28 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by m73m95
I don't want involved in this..... but that statement doesn't make sense.

You aren't comparing comparable setups?
Basically I am saying the price difference for "a" MAF system from either vendor is not that large. But they are "different" systems with different capabilities. And for a similar price you can go standalone, which once again is a different system with different capabilities.

Yes it is apples to oranges.
Make sense now?
Old 05-19-2011 | 03:29 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Basically I am saying the price difference for "a" MAF system from either vendor is not that large. But they are "different" systems with different capabilities. And for a similar price you can go standalone, which once again is a different system with different capabilities.

Yes it is apples to oranges.
Make sense now?
Ehh... lol

The major problem with a standalone...any standalone...is, you have to tune EVERYTHING. Even the stupid stuff that we take for granted. Its nothing but a wire loom, and a box full of soldered resisters, until you tell it that it runs an engine. There aren't to many people here that would be comfortable doing this themselves, which means you have to hire someone to do it..... You might get "in" for ~a grand, but rooter to tooter, getting something you can drive, I'm betting the actual cost is substantially more. They DO have their place, of course....but not on a street car (IMO).

Sure, you can get the dealer to send you the files to run the engine, but its not perfect for your engine, and sometimes takes time to get right (Ask Darwin about his idle issues with his 3.0L build. Not saying anything bad about his system, or the guy who sold it.... Point is, even with all the support in the world, it wasn't perfect right out of the bag, and took a few weeks to get right, and he has one of the best systems money can buy (wasn't a grand).)

The MAF kits (Either of the 2 big ones), are pretty plug and play. Your DME knows that it runs an engine, and that doesn't change. You install a chip, cut a resistor, and clip, strip and crimp a wire or 2, and you're driving. Just about anyone can install it, and use it as it was meant to be used.

So, when choosing between the 2 kits, you can only compare features, customer service for any problems, and price...all together.

You can't compare features without price. You can't compare price without features.... Customer service I guess is the tie breaker (Though, I think its just as important as any feature).
Old 05-19-2011 | 03:45 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Thank you everyone for your continued interest and excitement! To give a bit of an update, the M-Tune is released. Because this is the initial release, and I have only so many kits on-hand, I've limited the release to those who have expressed interest to me and have been following the M-Tune progress for some time.
Furthermore, this allows me to take things at a step at a time, instead of being overloaded. I'm learning, and am doing the best I can. Do not worry though, soon I will make the M-Tune available to everyone! What I do not want is for people to have paid for a kit, and then have to wait a lengthy time.

So in short, the M-Tune is here
Old 05-19-2011 | 03:46 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Re: MAF vs Standalone.
Both systems have their place, their merits, and their downfalls. This really isn't the thread to bicker over which is the better choice. In the end, if the 951/944 owner is happy - then he/she made the right choice!
Old 05-19-2011 | 03:57 AM
Reimu
Drifting

Any idea when you'll be taking names for round 2?
Old 05-19-2011 | 04:03 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by m73m95
Ehh... lol

The major problem with a standalone...any standalone...is, you have to tune EVERYTHING. Even the stupid stuff that we take for granted. Its nothing but a wire loom, and a box full of soldered resisters, until you tell it that it runs an engine. There aren't to many people here that would be comfortable doing this themselves, which means you have to hire someone to do it..... You might get "in" for ~a grand, but rooter to tooter, getting something you can drive, I'm betting the actual cost is substantially more. They DO have their place, of course....but not on a street car (IMO).

Sure, you can get the dealer to send you the files to run the engine, but its not perfect for your engine, and sometimes takes time to get right (Ask Darwin about his idle issues with his 3.0L build. Not saying anything bad about his system, or the guy who sold it.... Point is, even with all the support in the world, it wasn't perfect right out of the bag, and took a few weeks to get right, and he has one of the best systems money can buy (wasn't a grand).)

The MAF kits (Either of the 2 big ones), are pretty plug and play. Your DME knows that it runs an engine, and that doesn't change. You install a chip, cut a resistor, and clip, strip and crimp a wire or 2, and you're driving. Just about anyone can install it, and use it as it was meant to be used.

So, when choosing between the 2 kits, you can only compare features, customer service for any problems, and price...all together.

You can't compare features without price. You can't compare price without features.... Customer service I guess is the tie breaker (Though, I think its just as important as any feature).
just a couple of things. FIRST let me say CLEARLY that I'm not taking a side. One vendor has been around for a long time. One is brand new.

I agree about stand alone, and Darwin is a personal friend and fellow Marine. He's doing this the first time ever, and though he's a pretty good tech, this is a BIG job! He's got THOUSANDS of dollars in this and isn't going to get close to the edge of any cliffs, to make it work. GOOD ON HIM. I'd be pissed if a Marine got stupid like that!

AS far as the plug and plays go, Vitesse has a proven and OFTEN over looked track record of not just supporting his original clients, but also well known second hand clients. He asks that not be made public, for obvious reasons, but he still ****ing does it, if you're a decent guy who isn't a **** bird!
I'll tell you personally that Rogue has a big hill to climb, when it comes to that.
I AM NOT SAYING THAT HE WON'T BE JUST AS GOOD! I'm saying that there are a whole lot of calls, in the damned middle of the night, or Christmas Day that are going to come flooding his *** like the plague!
John answers the phone!
In my current car, I just have a chip from the PO. I've literally called John and asked for a bit of help.
His reply. No SWEAT.

What I'm saying is that there are a LOT of cheap mother F@ckers talking LOADS of smack, already, without EVER installing any equipment.

Here's a point. Just because you are busting your *** to pay for your passion, is no reason to even remotely, run down another vendor, due to price! WE are freeaking CRAZY LUCKY to have them both!
Vittesse is putting out a PROVEN plug and play product!
I believe Rogue Tuning is about to create the same. I salute both!
Thanks for your hard work!
I'm not building a 3 litre 951. I just want mine to be better!
Thanks for your continued and unappreciated hours of development. Thanks ESPECIALLY for the fact that those hours were VASTLY, uncompensated.

This **** ain't free boys! That's why us old guys are forced to nursemaid so MANY of you new guys!

Semper Fi!
E
Old 05-19-2011 | 04:03 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Round 2 will be fully public. I expect it to be <1 month.
Old 05-19-2011 | 04:20 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
you have a pm.
E
Old 05-19-2011 | 04:27 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Ehall, got it, and returned.

Everyone, ehall has a point. I am excited and enthused just like everyone else, but please keep this positive!!!
If you want to praise X setup, great! But do not do this by trying to bring down another/different setup. ..
Especially a fellow vendor! I do not want this kind of praise, and in the end it does no good except leave people with a sour taste.
Old 05-19-2011 | 04:34 AM
Reimu
Drifting

Great
Count me in for one
Old 05-19-2011 | 04:42 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by CameronKame
Great
Count me in for one
Great! Stay tuned
Old 05-19-2011 | 04:48 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ehall, got it, and returned.

Everyone, ehall has a point. I am excited and enthused just like everyone else, but please keep this positive!!!
If you want to praise X setup, great! But do not do this by trying to bring down another/different setup. ..
Especially a fellow vendor! I do not want this kind of praise, and in the end it does no good except leave people with a sour taste.

I'm personally looking forward to what the community will get from all of this. This **** looks easy on the screen, but it's HARD to execute! Get SUM Joshua!
Semper Fi!

Quick Reply: Just Ordered A-Tune