Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Abnormal passenger front tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 10:44 PM
a4944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Abnormal passenger front tire wear

I inspected the tires on my 1986 944 Turbo last weekend and noticed that the passenger side front tire was corded at the inside of the tire. The other front tire is more worn on the inside but not as bad. The bushing on the sway bar is shot do to PS leak that I hopefully fixed. Could this cause a problem with alignment? A PO also put on a strut tower brace, would it need an aligment after this? I plan on putting on new tires and getting it aligned after replacing the sway bar bushing. Is there anythinig else I should look for? The rear tires are new so no issue there.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 03-19-2003, 11:10 PM
Tech575
Intermediate

You'll want to check out your A-Arms (specifically the ball joint) as well. I had a bad one that caused the same problem.

Another place to look is your tie rods. I had one go bad on the rack-side. It's a ball-type joint and the ball was loose in the joint. I'm not sure if this is a common problem or not, but check it out anyway. I jacked up the car and grabbed the tire on either side and wiggled it back-and-forth. I could hear/feel the loose tie rod. I went ahead and replaced the tie rod and the tie rod end - just to be on the safe side.

Hope This Helps
Old 03-20-2003, 02:01 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like that side has too much neg camber......
Old 03-20-2003, 11:48 PM
ringo951
Burning Brakes

Definitely have your alignment checked. Tires aren't cheap, and a blowout could be more costly. I had bad tie rods and ball joints, and my tires weren't wearing abnormally. The suspension just shook a lot more than it should, especially at highway speeds. That is why this sounds like an alignment issue to me. But definitely have it all checked out.

Quick Reply: Abnormal passenger front tire wear