Air conditionning question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 02:35 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Air conditionning question

I'm wondering if my A/C is working properly. My car is an '86 951 American specs. The temperature **** has numbers around it which (I think) work as a sort of 'select-a-temp' dial. As I understand things this is an 'automatic climate control'. When I dial to the blue setting the air does not seem to get very cold. My question is: To maintain the selected temperature, does the heater assembly mix hot air from the engine and cold air from the A/C? In other words, is the A/C compressor always on. If that is so what is the use for the rectangular button with the snowflake directly to the right of the temperature ****? It seems that when I push on this button, it activates some sort of ' air recirculating feature', the air does not seem to get colder and after a while the windows fog up!!!
Old 03-19-2003, 03:01 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
The A/C compressor is not running unless the little "snowflake" button is depressed & light is lit. My switch is finicky.

Seems like your compressor isn't actually cooling --

When you press or press/hold the button do you feel the compressor engaging, do you feel a surge or depression in the idle?

Have your system checked for refrigerant. You can do this yourself by checking the sightglass (not sure if all years have it) on top of the dryer located just behind and below the passenger headlight. While the compressor is running check the sightglass for clarity. If it's cloudy or bubbly, or white -- you either have no, or need to add freon.

If it's empty, there are procedures on rennlist somewhere for vacuum testing the system yourself. Or you can take it to a shop.

This might also be a good time to look at conversion to R134 -- which is the route I took.

~C
Old 03-19-2003, 04:02 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info. it does confirm what I thought was going on. I will check on the compressor tonight when I get home. What I don't understand is why the windows fog up.

Quick Reply: Air conditionning question