Washing engine with head off

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 10:16 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Washing engine with head off

Ok, so I got the crossover pipe and turbo out this morning, the only piece I have left to pull is the AOS separator and im gonna quit using my wrenches! (well, for the most part anyway)

What precautions do I need to take before giving the engine bay a good scouring with break cleaner, degreaser, and a hose tomorrow morning? I'll put duct tape over the 3" exhaust inlet that is sticking up back there, but do I have to worry about contaminating the oil at this point? I haven't drained the oil since I started the project, but I definitely will before I'm done.

Can I proceed as-is with the top of the block open, or do I need to stuff towels in all of the oil passages and duct take over the cylinders?

I've got compressed air to blow out excess water, and I figure I might spray some light oil around the pistons after I'm done to keep the rings from rusting and to add a little top-end lube for when I fire it up in a couple of weeks. Will that keep me safe?
Old 04-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Absolutely seal the top of the block to keep crap out. Any and all sandy sh*t in the engine is bad.

I'd wipe the edge of the block with brake cleaner and then duct tape down a piece of kitchen saran wrap that's been cut to fit with a razor.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:04 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Jeff N.
Absolutely seal the top of the block to keep crap out. Any and all sandy sh*t in the engine is bad.

I'd wipe the edge of the block with brake cleaner and then duct tape down a piece of kitchen saran wrap that's been cut to fit with a razor.
Oh yeah, I forgot that I'd end up with a bunch of dirty crap, I was just thinking about water and chemicals. Thanks for the reality check!
Old 04-10-2011, 04:38 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X10 on the Saran Wrap over the cylinders. You don't want anything going in there and staying for a couple of weeks. You might put a swipe of axle grease around the top of each piston to keep carbon, etc. from getting down to the rings. Hand turn the engine to wipe out the grease when you are ready to install the head.

Cheers,
Larry

Quick Reply: Washing engine with head off