Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Safe to disconnect the 02 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 09:43 PM
jeff951
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Safe to disconnect the 02 sensor

My 88 951 likes to idle a little bit rough when the 02 sensor is plugged in.... ie tach does up and doen as much as a 150. i noticed that as soon as it is plugged in, you can hear the motor slowly get "pulled" down then it comes back up again.... and starts over. With it disconnected, the car runs perfectly at idle. The 02 sensor was replaced 2 years ago with a Bosch universal.

Question 1- can running the car without it plugged in hurt it?

Question 2- is there any performace increase to having it off

Question 3- is it true i will ruin the catolayic converter with it disconnected?

Any ideas or has anyone seen this before?

thank you

Jeff
Old 06-25-2002, 03:40 AM
Loki
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When it was replaced with the universal sensor, were the wires cut straight across. In other words, do the cut ends line up with one another. I ran into this problem and my inadequate insulation melted through and the wires grounded on each other. I had to unplug the sensor to get home. It was running similar to the way you described. I then cut each of the three sensor wires to different lengths and re-soldered them to the factory wiring harness.

When unplugged I believe the car runs rich, to protect it. I would guess this would cause carbon build-up over time.

Chris

Quick Reply: Safe to disconnect the 02 sensor