Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

2.8 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 07:36 AM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys, thats why I asked as my car has just had a pretty expensive engine rebuild just before I bought it

One to think about for the future or if the right parts happen to come along...
Old 06-26-2002, 12:27 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

Hey Turby,
I got your message, but have not had time to respond. I also made a mistake in my first post. It was bored to 106mm NOT 103mm. I'll find my invoice and let you know what the total was and what all I did.
Old 06-26-2002, 06:37 PM
951carter
Racer

The one with the sideskirts and h'light vents? I don't think i found the correct one because that one appears to have tan interior instead of red, but i may be wrong.
Old 06-27-2002, 02:28 AM
melted
Intermediate

How much displacement does the dish in the top of the piston add? All the calculations that I have seen are taking into account for a flat top piston. The dish is considerable size , does anyone know what that adds? Just curious, I have 104 mm sleeves being put in a block now with je pistons (standard dish type pistons) stock stroke. I figure it puts me at 2682.084 not counting the dish in the piston.
Old 06-27-2002, 02:35 AM
David J. Harrington
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by melted:
<strong>How much displacement does the dish in the top of the piston add? All the calculations that I have seen are taking into account for a flat top piston. The dish is considerable size , does anyone know what that adds? Just curious, I have 104 mm sleeves being put in a block now with je pistons (standard dish type pistons) stock stroke. I figure it puts me at 2682.084 not counting the dish in the piston.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The dish doesn't add any displacement. Displacement is the volume change from BDC to TDC (multiplied by the number of pistons).

In your scenario, we'll call the TDC volume X1 and the BDC volume X2. For a flat top piston, the displacement of that cylinder is X2-X1.

For a dished piston, let's call the dish volume Y. The new displacement is (X2+Y)-(X1+Y). Doing simple math, you get X2+Y-X1-Y which is the same as X2-X1.

Hopefully I have not been too confusing. The dish WILL however change the compression ratio (a more dished piston will have a lower ratio), and also can allow room for valves.

Hope this helped,
Dave
Old 06-27-2002, 04:41 AM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Talking

Turby

If you're interested, I've got a standard main/standard rod 3.0L crank with polished journals. E-mail me for details.

In regards to rods, you can use the stock rods with the specific Mahle pistons (relocated wrist pin) provided you clearance (slightly) the bearing girdle. Very little grinding required.

Quick Reply: 2.8 Turbo