Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What to ceramic coat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 11:34 AM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I went with sterling on the headers & heat shields and 2000 on the down pipe & crossover.
I quite surprised this thread has not turned into Swain Tech vs Jet-Hot battle...as most other
coating threads have!
Old 04-09-2011, 04:43 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mwc951
I went with sterling on the headers & heat shields and 2000 on the down pipe & turbo
Thats exactly what I'm planning, but was thinking 2000 on the headers too. Sterling sure would look nice there too though.

Just got the crossover, turbo, and a bunch of other bits out. Will be pulling a few more pieces in the morning then give the engine bay a good scrub-down.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:34 AM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Having thought about and implemented quite a bit of "thermal management", I thought I would create my preference list. So here it is.

Thermal coating priority list based on expected “bang for buck” without concern for accessibility or convenience:

Headers inside
X-over inside
Turbine housing inside and its inner heat shield (housing to wheel clearance is typically a generous 0.060”)
Downpipe inside
Intake manifold inside.
Turbine outside
Header outside (leave the OEM shielding in place)
X-over outside (leave the OEM shielding in place)
Downpipe outside
Valve heads
Piston tops (not if port water injection is used)
Intake manifold outside

Comments:
Inner coatings can generally handle higher temperatures than rated due to oxygen poor environment.
I have had no problems with “flaking” from inside coating. For those still speculating on damage from flaking, compare this to the carbon flaking, which does occur from the combustion chambers and valves.

Laust
Old 04-10-2011, 08:46 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Laust, when I asked a local ceramic coating guy about coating the inside of things, he told me that wasn't really possible. He explained that to get the spray to stick, he had to sand blast or otherwise etch all surfaces to be coated, and he was unaware of a way to get inside of intake or exhaust tubes with a sand blasting nozzle.

Since I've decided to use Jet Hot, I haven't asked them this question, but your list sure makes it look like you've got first-hand experience with this... who did your ceramic coating?
Old 04-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
Laust, when I asked a local ceramic coating guy about coating the inside of things, he told me that wasn't really possible. He explained that to get the spray to stick, he had to sand blast or otherwise etch all surfaces to be coated, and he was unaware of a way to get inside of intake or exhaust tubes with a sand blasting nozzle.

Since I've decided to use Jet Hot, I haven't asked them this question, but your list sure makes it look like you've got first-hand experience with this... who did your ceramic coating?
I used Jet-Hot Coatings. They use(d) what looked like 1/8” ceramic pellets to clean the inside, so an important task after receiving parts with inside coating is to make sure none of the pellets are stuck (and later dislodged) inside.

Coating the inside of the turbine (done it on three different turbos with success) required some “arm-twisting”, resulting in signing a waiver.

The inside coating keeps the metal at a lower temperature and therefore also lowers the risk of stress cracks (induced by thermal gradients).

Laust
Old 04-10-2011, 04:24 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good thread. sry nothing to add, but lots to learn. Thanks.

Quick Reply: What to ceramic coat?