Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Shim or Banjo bolt

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 01:22 AM
Gnftr56
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Shim or Banjo bolt

Which is a better option, to shim the wastegate or to utilize the Banjo bolt that APE supplies with their kit. What is a Banjo bolt anyway?
Old 06-21-2002, 12:39 PM
arnebret
Track Day

The banjo bolt is the bolt on the BEFORE intercooler pipe. It supplies a path for air to come into the cyclic valve. With this pressure the wastegate is opened if needed. If the air is not needed or flows back from the wastegate it will flow back into the intakeboot.
Old 06-21-2002, 01:24 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shimming the wastegate IMO
Old 06-21-2002, 01:56 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

What about some kind of boost controller? Like an Apexi or something are they worth the money?
Old 06-23-2002, 01:56 PM
sean bartsch
Instructor

i have an apexi AVC-R and i Defiantly think its worth it, its just about the best boost controller on the market. it can monitor revs, boost, throttle position, etc. the display is just plain awsome(easily read). you will think you have a new car, and it sets you up for future modifacations. but i highly recomend that if you go with this boost controller you install some sort of dual port wastegate(tial, deltagate, lindsey). its realy just relative on how far you want to go with these cars, but its hard to stop once youve started

Sean
86 951 tial WG, SFR 3"exhaust, Apexi AVC-R, t04 turbo
Old 06-23-2002, 02:55 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, if I bought an APE kit, I'd install the jetted banjo bolt supplied with the kit. It's a crude way to control boost, and it's non-adjustable, but it works, and if the only mods you have are chips, then you don't really want to run more boost than what the system is set up to be running anyways. BTW, what you are doing is resticting the boost signal into your cycling valve, therefore tricking the cycling valve into thinking you're making less boost than you actually are. When the cycling valve finally thinks you're making 12psi, you're actually making more like 15psi and the wastegate opens. It's crude, but also somewhat elegant in it's simplicity.

You really should get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, a fuel controller, and an air:fuel meter before you start turning the boost up past 1bar. Otherwise, you may end up running lean at higher boost levels. Of course, once I bolted on a bigger turbo, fuel controller, MAF, bigger injectors, etc, then I really needed the dual-port wastegate and boost controller. The ideas are all fine, it's just the order in which doing the modifications makes the most sense.

Quick Reply: Shim or Banjo bolt