Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

raising boost

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 05:53 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post raising boost

I have my car set at 15 psi now, and it's still running 2 to 3 bars rich on my gauge. can I turn on up the boost and still be safe? I think I can turn it up a notch.
Old 06-19-2002, 06:15 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
I would make a few third gear pulls in your car from 3000 to 5000 rpm and pay close attention to your aftermarket boost gauge. What you are looking for is a boost spike if it peaks say at 15 psi then drops a little as the rpms pick up then you know that your engines breathing can not keep up with this pressure. I have a feeling that your exhaust, and not having mass air flow, is not very free flowing so it probably can keep up and therfore if you raise your boost to 16 psi you will be fine as long as you ALWAYS use 92 octane and HIGHER. If you had open exhaust and mass air flow or stand alone than your turbo would spike at 15 then as the engine winded up it would drop because the turbo cannot supply any more air. Than you would have to get a bigger turbo. You also should know that two bars on the air/fuel ratio is not that much more fuel it looks at milivolts from the O2 sensor so pay good attention to your gauges and make shure you are always a little rich at full boost I like to be way into the rich side. Because leaner's meaner and richer's quiker!
Old 06-21-2002, 07:09 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

I use 94 octane, so i don't think I have a problm there, It is three bars rich at full boost. I'm running 16 psi now. Still rich. Someone told me that even if I run it rich i can still blow the engine? something to do with temps before and after the IC. Does anyone know what i'm talking about? If so, please respond. Thanks
Old 06-21-2002, 07:19 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trash APE stage II and get some better chips and you should be good

Go custom IMO, I went Steve R..will see how they do once my car starts.
Old 06-21-2002, 07:42 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Question

If you go custom chips will they be set for exactly th mods you have or will there be any room for more mods before new chips?

Quick Reply: raising boost