Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:59 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Adam purchased the products third hand, apparently some information was lost and procedures were not followed. I will go over the components/procedures with him to make sure everything is set correctly.

Based on pictures of his DME and wiring harness, we discovered that he has selected the race gas maps, and was not running the correct image intended for his setup. Both improper settings could have attributed. However, based on the little info he shared, I believe there might be additional issues and further investigation is recommended.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:42 PM
apitts73
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so john has been very helpful trying to figure out how this thing was set up
(i know nothing...thats why i let the shop do it!!) not nothing, but close...i dont know anything about how to set up johns software/tuning.

also, ML from LR has been very helpful with his time and info.

i believe it was the ignition timing too!!

as for the cam seizing....i believe it seized in the cam journals(not positive though), it sheared the pin for the cam gear. didnt bend any valves but marked the pistons...only the exhaust valves hit the pistons......my back yard mechanic friend came over yesterday and he believes the marks on the pistons are fresh...as in they are still hitting the pistons!! the marks on the pistons are not dirty or carbon in the gouges like the rest of the piston. talking w/ ML he believes the marks are only from 2100miles ago when the cam first seized.
no i definitely didnt rotate the cam or motor once the belt was off!!

is it hard to find out if the valves are hitting the pistons once i put it back together?

the wife has the digital camera out east until monday....i will take some good pics then....but we did look at the head/deck and gasket for where it let go and there is nothing....i think i know what to look for(seen it on all the other 7-9HG jobs ive done on the last 2 motors.

the cylinder walls feel fine....very smooth, no marks/gouges/grooves.

these valves hitting......what would cause this(if they are not from the cam seizing)?? over tightening of the head? do i need a thicker HG?
why are there no marks on the head/gasket/deck where it let go??

i really appreciate all this help and info guys..
i just want to drive this beast...and a beast it is...most powerful car ive ever been in or driven!
adam
Old 04-07-2011, 04:04 PM
apitts73
Racer

actually there is a very slight groove in cylinder #3
Old 04-07-2011, 05:37 PM
RobE952
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adam, I just wanted to post my condolences on your problem. I've got a new engine too and I am scared to death that I might mess it up! This thread has reminded me to check several things.

I can't offer any advice beyond what these other gurus have written. Just wanted to say hang in there. Sounds like you got away with little to no damage and you should be back enjoying the car in no time.

951 ownership is like a bad drug. No matter how much it costs or frustrates you, you just keep coming back for more...
Old 04-07-2011, 05:42 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

This is why I now have a Chevy small block living in the engine bay of my 951.

Hope it all goes well Adam!
Old 04-07-2011, 05:58 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
This is why I now have a Chevy small block living in the engine bay of my 951.

Hope it all goes well Adam!
Old 04-07-2011, 06:08 PM
apitts73
Racer

thanks guys

so true about addictive...even more now that ive felt that 400-450hp performance.
i built it for the Knox Mountain Hillclimb in Kelowna, BC(May long weekend), and thinking of running it in the Newfoundland Targa race(Sept10-17 i think)2200km on city streets...they actually shut down towns for this race.
as long as i can get this sorted out in the next month anyway!!
again, thanks everyone
adam
Old 04-08-2011, 08:51 PM
apitts73
Racer

Default CYLINDER #4 IS CRACKED

was cleaning the deck to put the head back on and notice what felt like a scratch in #4......checked closer.....cracked.
not sure what to think or feel right now....was thinking and telling friends it would be running by Sunday!!
so what....now i need a new block?? more labour $$$!!
b/w new motor$30,000.00canadian, taxes/duty$7500.00, and labour$16,000.00, plus add ons= way too f**king much for a $10,000.00 car that only ran 2100miles!!
Old 04-08-2011, 09:29 PM
slap929
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sorry to hear about that. I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do from here. It sucks that you barely got to enjoy it.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:09 PM
apitts73
Racer

i do have a stock motor just sitting there w/ 88k miles on it.
-put the head and solid lifter cam on it from the 3.0l?
-i guess use the super 75/10 from the 3.0l(no other turbo around)

will the vitesse maf/v-flex work on the stock motor.....or do i have to get the chipboard re flashed again?

i think thats all it would take to get running within a week or so?
Old 04-08-2011, 10:29 PM
apitts73
Racer

the cam from the 3.ol is pretty wild compared to stock though...still work on stock motor??
Old 04-08-2011, 10:32 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Sorry to hear this. Can you post some pictures? Are you sure it is cracked and not just scored? Was this a solid lifter engine?

Not to sound harsh at a bad time, but if you slap mismatched parts together to get back on the road in a week, you put yourself at risk of equally bad results. If the stock motor is complete, maybe run it bone stock (chips, turbo, the works) while you plot your next move?
Old 04-08-2011, 10:38 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

The turbo will be too large for a stock 2.5. Programming will be wrong as well...

So sorry to hear of your problems Adam. I had the same issue with a bad bottom end on my stock motor, hence the small block in my car now.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:55 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Run the stock motor for now. Sort out the 3L independently. You could possibly use the VR stuff on the 2.5L but get advice as to what map and setting to run. I ran a VR Stage 5 3L kit on my 2.5L for some time, including turbo. It worked surprisingly well (S2 ring and pinion helped a lot).
You've been through a lot and deserve a better outcome. A few of us have been down similar paths. I ran a 2.5L for a few years while waiting on a 3L motor. Building the 3L correctly while changing the emphasis from Street to Race motor over the years has stalled the project a lot but am comfortable that it's being done correctly. Hopefully you can do the same.

Best of luck.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:27 PM
apitts73
Racer

thanks guys,

pictures will come on tuesday when the wife gets back with it.....pretty sure its a crack...it felt like a scratch and i was going to emery cloth it really lightly....then noticed it goes all the way through the cylinder wall.

i only have a stock bottom end...no stock chips or turbo....i will talk to john about the v-flex/maf part.
as for the turbo.....why too big? cant i just run it @12psi boost to be safe....i ask because i know very little when it comes this stuff!!

i will definitely get the 3.0l back together....just when is the question.....and by who?
adam

Quick Reply: blown HG** NEW INFO...CRACKED #4 CYLINDER!**