Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011 | 11:43 PM
slap929
Pro

Default Please help

I am loosing my mind over my car... Have been working on it for some time and still cant get it to run. It ran before and cranked successfully 5-6 times. On the 7th start it sounded like my starter went out. Removed it, hit it a few times, reinstalled it and it would turn over the engine, but now it doesnt turn over by itself. I attached a video. Hopefully it will tell you something that I am missing. Please help, thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAnXAmjTdEg
Old 04-04-2011 | 11:49 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

It looks like something is causing a lot of friction. Don't stress my car stopped last friday, towed it home and I already tested two things. I have spark, and fuel. Next I need to check compression or do a leak down. Take it easy you'll figure it out. If there's someone arround you that has a lot a knowledge ask them for help. GL
Old 04-04-2011 | 11:52 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Have you checked the battery, and cables?

Don't just check the voltage. Get/rent a battery tester that can actually put a loan on it. Also, worn out/cracked/frayed cables can cause a variety of strange problems.
Old 04-05-2011 | 12:00 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by m73m95
Get/rent a battery tester that can actually put a load on it.
Fixed.
Old 04-05-2011 | 12:18 AM
slap929
Pro

Thanks for the suggestion. I do wonder about my battery and its charge. Even if the starter turns the engine, is that not enough voltage to supply spark?
Old 04-05-2011 | 12:30 AM
xupkid2
Pro

What have you been doing to the car to get it running? That history might be helpful
Old 04-05-2011 | 12:44 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

about 8 years ago I had a car that suddenly it got harder and harder to turn, I thought first it was the starter, but it wasn't so I suspected hydro-lock but it wasn't neither, what had happened was that one piston ring had broken and was scoring jamming the piston and scoring the block beyond repair.
Old 04-05-2011 | 12:47 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lart951
about 8 years ago I had a car that suddenly it got harder and harder to turn, I thought first it was the starter, but it wasn't so I suspected hydro-lock but it wasn't neither, what had happened was that one piston ring had broken and was scoring jamming the piston and scoring the block beyond repair.
Ouch. I'd hope it's not that!
Old 04-05-2011 | 01:07 AM
slap929
Pro

Dont think that is it. My engine turns over just fine by hand and with the starter.

The history: I replaced the cam tower gasket and a fuel line(dampener to rail). As said before, was able to start and run the car several times. Sounded rough but ran and only turned it off because of burning oil that had accumulated on the crossover. The 7th time my starter sounded odd and didnt run. Decided it was the starter, so I removed it and hit a few time. Reinstalled it and was able to turn the engine with it, but it never started again.
Old 04-05-2011 | 01:12 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by slap929
Dont think that is it. My engine turns over just fine by hand and with the starter.

The history: I replaced the cam tower gasket and a fuel line(dampener to rail). As said before, was able to start and run the car several times. Sounded rough but ran and only turned it off because of burning oil that had accumulated on the crossover. The 7th time my starter sounded odd and didnt run. Decided it was the starter, so I removed it and hit a few time. Reinstalled it and was able to turn the engine with it, but it never started again.

you are right if you are able to crank it by hand is not that what happened to me
Old 04-05-2011 | 02:12 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Do you have the tach bounce? I'am guessing no? If that's the case just go straight to the reference sensors.
I used the Lindsey harness and still have issues! I go under the hood wiggle the wires, try again, tach bounces and she fires right up! Freaking car!
Old 04-05-2011 | 09:46 AM
slap929
Pro

my tach bounces when i crank it. Actually replaced the speed sensor thinking that was the problem.

Back to the original title; which i forgot to include. I went back through it and found that the timing for the cam was off by around 5 teeth. Spoke with Joshb on it and he believes that the 7th time I cranked the car was went I might have possibly bent valves... I guess that's why I am foolishly asking how many teeth, on the cam gear, off can it be (from TDC) before that happens. Although I would be willing to bet many dont have that kind of exacting information.

Next question is. If it cranked several times and/or it bent valves, could it start again?

If the starter has enough power to turn the engine, should that not be enough to fire the engine?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks joshb and everyone else for giving me advice. I do appreciate it
Old 04-05-2011 | 09:54 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Do a compression test to check for bent valves. See if local parts store will loan a tester, if you don't own one. Is the engine cranking faster than usual?

As far as how many teeth it can be off, 5 is too many.
Old 04-05-2011 | 09:56 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

The car doesn't sound like it is building compression in that video at all You need to go back to the basics.

Take off the belt covers.
Set the timing belt correctly
Make sure the belt is routed correctly and no rubbing on anything
Check the tensioner to make sure it is locked down
Check the belt tension
Try to restart the car
If it doesn't start then get a compression tester
Check each cylinder for compression
Keep on checking the belt to make sure TDC is still lining up
Old 04-05-2011 | 10:01 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Technically, Josh is right. Actually, you've had the car running, and cranked multiple times. IF the timing is off by 5 teeth, the pistons have already "clearanced" anything that was in the way (valves).

Let us know how it comes out.

Quick Reply: Please help