Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Max wastgate shim height...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002 | 01:10 PM
Edman951
Pro

Post Max wastgate shim height...

What is the max safe height to shim a stock wastgate with out getting coil bind?
I want to help my wastgate hold higher boost longer by shimming it. I read that 4mm is good, but can i go a bit thinker? i use a Greddy profec B boost controller and since it controls boost perfectly i want to shim the WG as much a safely possible to help reduse boost faid in the higher rpm's.
Thanks
Old 06-18-2002 | 07:40 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Question

How exactly do you shim it? I understand you are making the spring apply more pressure as to build more boost quicker, but how is that physically done?
Old 06-19-2002 | 06:44 AM
Danno
Race Director

No, shimming the wastegate will not have your boost build quicker. That's because at low-RPM, the wastegate's completely closed anyway. The turbo-lag limitation is due to insufficient exhaust gases and pressure to spin up the turbo. It will however, allow your wastegate to maintain that max-boost longer into the high-RPM ranges.

Here's how you shim a wastegate:
<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=18&t=000541" target="_blank">Topic: Dual Port Wastegate Question </a>

Someone mentioned that bicycle chainring spacers are perfect for shimming the wastegate. They fit the bolts perfectly and come in a variety of thicknesses. I wouldn't go beyond 5mm total though...
Old 06-19-2002 | 11:21 AM
Edman951
Pro

[quote] I wouldn't go beyond 5mm total though... <hr></blockquote>
So is 5mm still in the safe zone, or should i just go for 4mm or 4.5mm?
Or maybe i could just change the sring with a new spring rate for 1 bar! does that existe for are wastgate, aftermarket wastgate have the option of different spring rating. Since i don't plan on going past the 300rwhp mark i think i should just make my stock wastgate perfect for my application!
Does this make sence...
Thanks
Old 06-19-2002 | 01:06 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

I guess the deal is that you can shim the wastegate in place. If you're going to the trouble of removing it , then just replace it and get something more adjustable and able to hold higher boost levels ( if that's what you want).
Old 06-19-2002 | 02:55 PM
JLeake
Racer

I don't see how it would be possible to shim the wastegate in place. If that were the case I would have shimmed mine long ago. Once I started breaking studs I put the project on the back burner.
Old 06-19-2002 | 03:41 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

It was actually pretty easy. I disconnected the support bracket from the torque tube housing or whatever it's bolted to. Then I removed the allen bolts holding the diaphragm housing to the hotside. Pulled the bolts out, slid the spacers in (this took a little while) and reinstalled the bolts. It helps that I have small hands (hey, no jokes). When you do the job with the wastegate in place you don't have to mess with the studs.
Old 06-19-2002 | 04:26 PM
JLeake
Racer

Hmmm, maybe I'll take another look at it. I couldn't easily get to the support bracket bolts. If you've done it is obviously possible. I guess it didn't help that I was attempting this after replacing my motor mounts (I was tired and frustrated at this point so lost interest quickly).
Old 06-19-2002 | 05:07 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

It's not too bad with a extension and u-joint. You just got to hold your mouth right.

Quick Reply: Max wastgate shim height...