Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

aftermarket DME chip cures stumbling problem?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2002, 05:50 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post aftermarket DME chip cures stumbling problem?!?

Does this make sense, guys? The substitution of the Huntley chip in the DME of the '86 951 seems to have cured the mid-RPM stumbling problem?

This seems to indicate a defective factory DME chip, does it not? How common is this?
Old 09-02-2002, 08:32 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stumbling can be caused by both lean and rich fuel-mixtures. From the path you've taken, it appears you may have been lean before since the Huntley chips add extra fuel in the mid-range. This is typically the case if you've got some sort of free-flow mods like air-cleaners and exhaust while still using the stock chips.

But that shouldn't throw things so out of whack like what happened with your car. I'd check for smooth operation of your AFM. You can measure resistance between the two inside pins on the AFM itself and check for continous changes as you open the flapper door. Or you can measure + voltage at pin#7 of the DME. It should read from 0.5-4.5v as your helper opens the flapper door slowly. You shouldn't see any sudden changes, dropouts or spikes.
Old 09-02-2002, 09:19 PM
keith
Drifting

OK, Danno, will check that out. Thanks!
(BTW, did my Pop email you about your setup?)
Old 09-02-2002, 10:06 PM
keith
Drifting

Gah! my meter is so slow it just ranges around for a while before it settles on anything, so I'll have to obtain a better one for any conclusive results on the AFM...

BTW, wouldn't the AFM problem show up with the car not moving? Like revving it while standing still? I suppose I should swp in a known good AFM to be sure (might swap in a known good factory DME chip also to find out something in that area...)

Quick Reply: aftermarket DME chip cures stumbling problem?!?