Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Random SURGE while under power.. wtf?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 01:57 AM
nickhance
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Random SURGE while under power.. wtf?!

Well I'm taking a new stab at my surging problem. It's definately not the BOV as I can have the surge occur while under power and still have boost. (The boost doesn't bleed off immediately).

It's very odd. Every once in a while (and becoming more frequent) the car will shudder as if it's not getting any fuel to the engine. Removing my foot from the throttle and then giving it gas again is usually enough to fix the problem. Now I know I have a faulty TPS (High idle can be solved by applying pressure to the TPS connector), would the TPS cause this type of problem?

I'm off to clean the connectors on the TPS to hopefully give some temporary solution. But can anyone help me diagnose this problem further? IS there any more information I can provide that might give a better clue?

Thanks in advance,
Nick
Old 06-20-2003, 02:27 AM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a problem like this. In my case, it was the battery hold-down bracket was loose, and during acceleration, the battery was tipping back and bridging the terminals on the inside of the hood. Make sure the battery is held in place properly.
Old 06-20-2003, 04:11 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Removing my foot from the throttle and then giving it gas again is usually enough to fix the problem."

That's a sure sign of a boost-leak. Check all your intercooler hoses and clamps. With increased boost, these rubber fittings will creep and burst loose when you're under power. Also check the back side of that big rubber hose that comes out or the turbo. You have to remove the airbox and reach in and feel around the backside. It's very common for this hose to develop a small crack which will only let go when the car's fully warmed up and under power.

Quick Reply: Random SURGE while under power.. wtf?!