Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Engine sputter

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 09:49 PM
John A
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Engine sputter

Help! This one is fustrating because it never happens when I pull within 3 blocks from my mechanics shop. When driving under normal conditions the engine will begin to sputter and lose power. When I give gas (to the floor) it will continue to sputter and rev between 1,500 and 2,000 rpms. Boost will max at 1 bar. This condition typically occurs for 30 to 120 seconds and will happen infrequently . I will get a small "backfire" and the car will run normally again. Any ideas on what the problem is?
Old 12-04-2001, 01:10 AM
AMCPILOT
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 22 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 86 951. The symptoms were that I would lose power, barely be able to keep the engine running and it usually stalled with a loud backfire. The problem turned out to be a failing DME box. The problems started out infrequent, but eventually got to the point that the car no longer ran. I was able to borrow a friends DME and when the car started bacfiring and stalling, I switched out the DME and no problems. I now have a new one and the car runs just fine.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:58 AM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

I betting your Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is going bad. When it goes bad, the computer thinks the car is idling and will give just enough fuel for idle. The same thing happened to me except mine went completely bad 100 miles from home. If you can get the problem to happen, try disconnecting the TPS and see if the problem goes away. The car will idle higher but still run and drive. With the enginge off, you can also listen for the switch to "click" when you turn the throttle cam by hand. It should "click" within 1 degree of rotation.

Good Luck,

Rob
Old 12-04-2001, 12:13 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 87 951. The symptoms were that I would lose power, barely be able to keep the engine running and it usually stalled with a loud backfire. The problem turned out to be a failing DME box. The problems started out infrequent, but eventually got to the point that the car no longer ran. (ok AMCPILOT, so I am reusing some of you text, it fits ).

If you are with a friend ask him to tap the passenger floor board (where the DME resides) and see if it gets better or worse.

I check all solder joints with a magnifying glass, found a couple broken (hard to find though) and resolder all solder joints as a precaution. Turns out it was a cracked solder joint in the big transistor.

Time to repair it: 2 hours (taking the DME off the car and redoing all the solder contacts)

Cost: US$9.95 (Electrical soldering gun kit)
Old 12-05-2001, 02:37 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you decide to try this, but have never soldered electronic components before, ask someone about it first.
Old 12-05-2001, 10:39 PM
John A
5th Gear

Red face

Thanks for the reply but now for the really stupid question. What does DME stand off?
Old 12-08-2001, 05:20 AM
B. Golladay
AutoX

Hey John,
I have a VERY similar and VERY frustrating problem to yours. I have a prob that it will not rev past around 1800 rpm or so. It just about dies but not quite. I never have to restart it, it will get power again when it falls to about 1500rpm. I would drive along and it would just cut out like I hit a fuel cut or ignition cut or something. I never had it backfire though, but I did get the great embarassment of goin thru an intersection having my car surge forward and then slow quickly, just go stop go stop like I don't know how to drive a stick or something. I had to get it back home by lugging it in each gear and then when in 4th I would put it in 1st or 2nd and get the rpms above 3500 or so and its ok there on up. The only dead spot is from 1800-3500 or so. It does this under normal driving load or under no load at all, sitting there trying to rev it past 1800.
I got an email back from Skip from Paragon Products and he suggested that I try the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor(or switch)). I have this weekend to check it and I will let ya know if it works or not and could help ya if it does. Paragon Products carries the TPS for ~$56. I think that was the best deal I seen on it.
You might also try to give Skip an email and see if he can help, he seems pretty knowledgeable and helpful with that stuff.

Best of luck to ya, it IS really frustrating,

Brian
'86 951 alllllllllllllll stock....for now.

By the way...if anyone else has any suggestions to my problem please feel free to give me some suggestions. So far its TPS or DME. Any other ideas from mechanics or 944 experts or possibly any other experiences with this out there?

Quick Reply: Engine sputter