Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 intercooler mod?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2001, 03:04 AM
Paul Bloomberg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 951 intercooler mod?

Has anyone tried to mod their IC by opening the smaller side?
Paul
Old 12-01-2001, 11:28 AM
Sean951
Track Day

Lindsey racing has an intercooler upgrade utilizing the stock cooler. http://www.lindseyracing.com/

Sean
Old 12-01-2001, 02:30 PM
threesticks
Advanced

I'm with Paul and would like to find out how to do it my self.
Paul I still have your manual for the 951 that you loaned me. I sent you an e-mail.

Threesticks
Old 12-02-2001, 01:21 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Paul,

My car is parked for the winter and i am currently rebuildin' the tranny/ installing a garret turbo. I would deffinately by up for chopping up my intercooler. Wanna expirement? Do you know where i can pick up a stock unit cheap?
Old 12-03-2001, 08:58 PM
86944turbo
Racer

The stock intercooler has 10 rows. One of the problems encountered in using a larger intercooler is space. What several have done, with exceptional results, is to take 2 stock intercoolers, separate a number of rows from one and then incorporate those rows onto the other intercooler. Very little pressure drop. Fifteen rows will work with minor, non-structual metal removal. It is addequate intercooling for up to 450 or so H/P. In my case, I also wanted to keep the air conditioning, so my condenser was chopped down and a second one was added. It is not difficult work, nor was the air conditioning mod expensive. It is critical to get proper venting to the intercooler. From the back of the nose you will want to vent as much air as possible with, what ever material you use, to the intercooler. This venting, which should include adding an extra vent/s to the panel (my nose panel started as a stock unit, then had the two holes cut & reinforced, screened to protect, then painted to look factory) has been done in fibreglass and many different ways in metal as well. The fibreglass that I've seen requires a significant amount of finish work to look appropriate. This vent/s in the nose panel should also have the air directed straight to the intercooler. When you look through these holes it appears that the air will go through the intercooler, however without capturing the air through proper venting, since the front of the intercooler becomes a high pressure area, and a great deal of air will be pushed aside, rather then through the intercooler. The nose panel venting was tested some years back in a 944 T at Laguna Seca, and in back to back tests, the lap times dropped a whole second. Which is huge. In street cars, around town, we suffer from heat soak, so the venting is as crucial for street applications as it is racing. I have seen 50C in my MoTeC dumps in just driving around town on 90F ambient days. Without the venting, it would be worse. When you get past the 450 H/P figure, you'll need more cooling. A larger intercooler pretty much requires major modifications. There is another solution that has worked great for my car, as well as others. I have had a 3 ga. reservoir installed in the spare tire well below my Accusump. Using the pump from the windshield washer (The windshield washer reservior was eliminated to make room for the air/oil seperator) wired through a relay and into the MoTeC. When intercooler temps reach 39C, it activates the pump which channels water through a hose to a spray fan that sits in front of the intercooler. Tried several spray fan combinations to find one that directs the distilled water to the passenger side (where Delta-T is greatest) and with a large enough pattern to keep temps in check. So now on a 90-100F day, on boost (20 lbs.) deep into 6th (6000+ RPM), my intercooler temps run at 39-40C, instead of the 58-60C I experienced before. Obviously, a 50/50 mix with Methanol would help more, but it's tough on paint, or so I'm told. I've heard of Nitrous being used in this application, but I've also seen the pictures someone posted when a bottle got warm. "Splain this Lucy". With Nitrous, for this application, you also run the risk of taking Nitrous into your motor, and without proper fuel enrichment, it can lean you out. You do not want to be lean at 20 lbs. Stock intercooler cores trade for approx. $200. So you have $400 invested in intercoolers, now find a quality fabricator, or feel free to E-mail me if this souds like something you want to pursue.
Old 12-04-2001, 10:05 PM
Paul Bloomberg
Pro

Wink

After my orginal post regarding IC mod's,I contacted a friend who is a cert alum. welder, he said no problem! So he cut the end off and fab'd a end just like other.{looks great] He's going to weld it together in the next couple of days. I'll let everyone know the results. I'm making 330rwhp now, I believe I should see a improvement. It really looks like it restricts the flow of air.
Paul

Quick Reply: 951 intercooler mod?