Good book about Turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2001, 05:41 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
Post Good book about Turbos?

I am new to the 951 ownership ranks and was wondering if there is an idiot's guide to turbos. I would really like to learn the concept behind a turbo and the various parts and functions. i.e What does the wastegate do etc? Any suggestions would be most appreciated. TIA
Old 11-30-2001, 05:49 PM
RPG951S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I guess the industry 'standard' would be a great book by Corky Bell (sp?) called 'Maximum Boost'. It has a blow-by-blow description of all the various turbo bits, ways to maximize performance, trade-off with various part options and all sorts of other nice things. Very, very comprehensive, written by a true pioneer/leader of the turbo industry.

Sport Compact Car has had a string of articles recently regarding turbocharging in general, you may want to check these out too...

Good Luck,
Raagi
Old 11-30-2001, 05:55 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
Thanks. Got it at Amazon. The excerpts on Amazon look like it is exactly what I needed. Thanks again.
Old 12-01-2001, 02:25 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also get a copy of:
    Goes into actual implementation issues with turbos. Talks about the various issues faced by the early turbo engineers Porsche, Renault, BMW, Honda and how they managed to squeeze 1400hp out of a 1.5ltr engine!
    Good reading can also be found in the Gasoline FAQ

I wish Callaway, Norwood or Spearco would write some books. These guys are like the grand-daddies of turbocharging!

Quick Reply: Good book about Turbos?