Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 05:35 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Technical Offset Question...

Hey guys,

I want to get some 17" 968 rims for my Turbo S (if they aren't heavy as lead, like Wheel Enhancement is telling me). Several people have posted that the stock offset (Turbo S) is 65mm (F) & 60mm (R) and that the factory 17" rims don't come in these sizes. I'm planning to install some .125" spacers (1/8") on the rear only, and was going to run 255/40/17's (.35" taller RD than stock, but 10mm wider)- I'm trying to get the rear tires to stick out a tiny bit more (~1/2" would be nice) as they're a little too inset in the fenders compared to the fronts IMO. Anyway, if the 17" rims were the EXACT SAME offset as the Clubsports, and, I used the 255mm tire & .125" spacer, then the tires should be 8.175mm (~1/3") closer to the outer fenders.

ANYWAY, if the offset of the 17" rims is LESS than the stock 16"- I believe someone posted earlier (Danno maybe-?) that they were about 50mm(?), then, would that mean that the rim would be closer INSET, or further out towards the fender? Which way does it work? I'm assuming that a 60mm offset is further out towards the fender, than a 50mm offset(?). Am I wrong? If I add the .125" spacers & 255mm tires, but go to a 50mm offset (from 60), then it sounds like it would actually put the rims about 2mm further in than they are now(?). That would kind of mess things up. Maybe I could go to 285/35/17's...

This may be a stupid question, but it's something I've never had to bother w/learning, as I've never thought very seriously about buying new rims before...

Any help would be greatly apreciated,
Robby
Old 11-29-2001, 07:02 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got an in-progress tutorial on my website 951 RacerX on how to measure you wheels and figure offset. Check out the 944WheelsFAQ section.

General rule is LESS offset means the wheels will stick out more, INCREASING the offset makes the wheels inset more into the fender. However, this is only true if you maintain the SAME WIDTH rims. Read up on my procedure on how to compute offset given rim dimensions you actually measured.

Ok, so what are the specs on these 17" 968 replicas?
Old 11-29-2001, 10:35 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply- I'll cheack that out. I've looked over your site before, it's got a lot of interesting stuff on it, but I didn't think to look at it for the wheel info. I still don't understand the stuff about the Torsen though. The comparison test- did the 300ZX w/out the Torsen have an LSD too?

As for the offset of the 968 rims- I'm not sure, but I DEFINATELY wouldn't get replicas... Wheel Enhancement says that even the factory ones are about 6lbs heavier (each) than the Turbo S rims, and that's not acceptable- I'm hoping that they are incorrect about that. I'll stick w/what I've got if that's the case- I just can't find anything out there that I like better than what I have- I like the 968 rims about the same, and since they come in 17", then they would work the best (for me)...
Old 11-29-2001, 11:38 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still don't understand the stuff about the Torsen though. The comparison test-did the 300ZX w/out the Torsen have an LSD too?
Nope, just an standard open-diff with planetary gears. The Torsen works well in low-traction environments like rallying. Audi was one of the first to have it for their 4wd Quattros. In extreme power cases, it works great as well. The Formula1 turbo monsters of the mid-'80s. The winning McLaren/Hondas used it exclusively. These diffs only gave way when electronic traction control was developed later.

Quick Reply: Technical Offset Question...