Please tell me my dad isn't right

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 06:37 PM
tuna
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Please tell me my dad isn't right

Two things:

1. After a car wash or rain my passenger side rear wheel well gets damp, my father says it is the sunroof drain, is he right. How do I fix it?

2. My turn signal return switch does not activate after I complete a turn, my father says it is a bad switch that can be replaced, is he right? How do I fix it.

Thank you in advance....even if you agree with him.
Old 11-26-2001, 07:47 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Your water intrusion is probably from a rusted out battery box. Common problem. Pull out the battery and inspect. If the holes are small, you can lay in some fiberglass, some extra resin, and cover in battery box paint. (Resistant to acid)

As far as the turn signal, you might have a broken switch. It requires the removal of the steering wheel and replacement of the entire switch assembly.
Old 11-26-2001, 08:00 PM
C DeVito
Racer

If I am reading #2 correctly, you're describing the switch does not cancel when you you straighten the wheel. If so, this is a common problem and can be fixed without replacing the switch. You do need to remove the wheel and the switch unit. The wheel has tabs that are supposed to push on one of to tabs that are extended when you activate the switch. Over time the tabs in the switch wear down and there is nothing for the wheel to push on when you return it to straight ahead. Hence the stalk doesn't return to its normal position. You can rebuild the tab with a little dab of epoxy. Less then $1.00 versus $$$ for a used or new switch. I think this is covered in the archive in more detail than I just did. I think this is also covered in the 944 garage web site, but I might be wrong on that one.

Good Luck,
Carmen
89 951
Old 11-26-2001, 08:17 PM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Or you can knock it back with your finger.
Old 11-26-2001, 08:59 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

I was lucky enough to find a new turn signal assembly off ebay for $50 a year ago.
Old 11-26-2001, 10:30 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as the leak, Perry can't read today.

If it is in the rear wheel well, I assume you really mean the rear inside pocket that you store things in. Could be the sunroof drain. Could be the rubber seal that runs around the whole hatch. Could be the little rubber blocks that seal off where the hatch locking studs go into the body catch. Or the drain tube that runs off the catch pan.

Take the carpet out and run a garden hose on areas and look inside through glass to get an idea which area is causing the leak.
Old 11-26-2001, 10:39 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In other words...Dad is probably right...Are Dads ever wrong ?
Old 11-27-2001, 01:23 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, if the leak were in the front wheel well, it could be the battery, but not the rear. Sharky seems to have answered that one well- as usual. Are you a Dad too Sharky?

At any rate, yes, sometimes, Dad's can be wrong, but, as a general rule, usually not as often as their children- unless they're Homer Simpson. Don't worry, you'll proabably be able to bug the hell out of your kids someday too, by always being right- that is, if you listen to your dad now...

Quick Reply: Please tell me my dad isn't right