Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My 951 mod story...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 10:23 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I still cannot understand 300 HP with 8.5psi boost at 6000 RPM and an 8:1 compression engine.
John Anderson's '87 951 engine made 412rwhp @ 13psi. That's over DOUBLE the stock engine's power output (185-190rwhp) at the SAME boost level! well, ok 1psi more than stock...
Old 12-19-2001, 10:52 AM
H Dog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wadja do to get 1.00 g?
Old 12-19-2001, 06:54 PM
TurboGuy
Intermediate

Danno, Ive been trying to find a live link to John Andersons page but so fat all dead links. Anyone have a link that works ?

Thanks
Old 12-19-2001, 06:55 PM
TurboGuy
Intermediate

Danno, Ive been trying to find a live link to John Andersons page but so fat all dead links. Anyone have a link that works ?

Thanks
Old 12-19-2001, 09:39 PM
Danno
Race Director

Yeah, it used to be at http://home.san.rr.com/myzone but that's offline now. My guess is he took it off because he was going to sell his car and get a 911. But now it appears a lot of the stuff is on the SFR website now.
Old 12-21-2001, 10:52 AM
Red S2
Intermediate

Restrictions in the intake or exhaust reduce the volumetric efficiency. However, these cars are exceedingly well designed and according to JM have VE's close to unity. I accounted for that in calculating what HP one can make at 8.5psi.

The only other way to increase HP is to rev the motor higher. If you maintain VE at higher rev's by up-camming, you get a linear increase in HP by raising the rev limit.

Compression helps only to the point you get close to the auto-ignition temperature. This is the reason race gas is higher octane.

From at least three reliable vendors, the MAF gains alone are about 15 RWHP and that is due to less restriction. This is becasue at any given RPM you can richen the mixture using an AFPR.

I am waiting for an engine builder to state from his engine dyno he made 300 HP with 8.5 psi boost at 6000 RPM.

I like the MAP system and SDSFI is a wonderful system for the money. However, the power increase from less restriction can only be about that of a MAF.
Old 12-21-2001, 12:02 PM
H Dog
Advanced

rage2,

email me privately regarding your trick headlamps.

hjohnson@dbmail.debis.de

Thanks
Old 12-21-2001, 12:11 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Hey,
aren't we forgetting the turbo as big as my head?! I'll bet if we put a intake temp sensor in the charged air stream it would be SIGNIFICANTLY decreased now compared to the intake temp of the K26 operating a pressure ratio of say 2.6(.8bar post-AFM to 2.1bar or whatever Rage was running with old turbo) versus 1.6 with bigfat turbo. If the VE of the stock motor is so perfect, than why do all of the professional motor builders significantly modify the head? Lindsay Racing's stageII head flows 50cfm more than stock at a given pressure(28" of water column at .480" valve lift). That means denser air in the cylinder all the way around(I think).

As Rage said, all conjecture will end shortly(too bad!).
Old 12-21-2001, 03:04 PM
Danno
Race Director

However, these cars are exceedingly well designed and according to JM have VE's close to unity.
RedS2, I think this is the part that's got you hung up. Maybe you misunderstood JM, or there was a miscommnciation. The stock configuration is around 60% efficient in VE, lots of room for improvement.

That's why guys like Millege or Scott Gomes can get 80.9hp/ltr*bar out of these engines. And that was 5-YEARS ago. His latest engines are getting around 90hp/ltr*bar.

Let's take a look at these engines as an example at 8.5psi (1.59bar):

Another data-point to consider is my own car last June. I got 290rwhp @ 12psi (TurboTim will remember this, he said, "hey, that's pretty good for the boost"). That's at the SAME boost level as a stock 951, but I got about 100rwhp more with just bolt-on mods like an MAF kit and bigger more efficient ball-bearing turbo.

The only other way to increase HP is to rev the motor higher. If you maintain VE at higher rev's by up-camming, you get a linear increase in HP by raising the rev limit.
    I think you're still thinking too much about a normally-aspirated motor, which has a fixed volume that it can ingest. ALL mods on an NA motor reaches an asymptotic limit of 100% of the displacement per stroke (maybe a bit more at a narrow RPM-band due to scanvenging). But that's all you can do to a NA motor, besides revving it higher.

But a TURBO completely bypasses the 100% displacement limit of the engine. It can cram in more VOLUME (mass) of air than the NA engine can actually hold at 100% VE. No need to rev higher, just turn up the boost and you'll get more power at the SAME rpm as an NA car.
    Old 05-23-2002, 02:00 AM
    Steve Cooper
    Racer

This board is amazing.

I love getting my interest piqued- tip of the hat to Danno...

...and with a little digging in a free moment discovering this treasure.

Wow.

Rage2, I really need to come up to Canada on the XX and see how your beast does, I need a sdsefi bad. My wife just rolled her eyes tonight when I showed her your dyno videos, so it must be a good idea

Cheers,
    Old 05-23-2002, 02:44 AM
    rage2
    Three Wheelin'

[quote]Originally posted by Steve Cooper:
    <strong>Rage2, I really need to come up to Canada on the XX and see how your beast does, I need a sdsefi bad. My wife just rolled her eyes tonight when I showed her your dyno videos, so it must be a good idea </strong><hr></blockquote>

Anytime. We're allowed passengers for drag strip runs now =).

Quick Reply: My 951 mod story...