Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Replaced Headgasket, Still Smoking

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 06:51 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sucks wouldn't the oil leaking cause the same effect on the bearings?
Old 01-24-2003, 07:59 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Any excuse to charge you. It should be warranted for a year at least. I would argue that and if it happened again then they have a point.It your turbo starved of oil what about your motor ,it still runs rite.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:51 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

What does a "momentary loss of oil" have to do with the seals leaking grossly? Look at the seals. Are they melted into fragments of their former selves? How would a momentary loss of oil cook the turbo with water running through the central housing? How does having oil streaming out through the seals affect the the oil pressure at the bearing surface. Probably not favorably.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:53 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

What does a "momentary loss of oil" have to do with the seals leaking grossly? Look at the seals. Are they melted into fragments of their former selves? How would a momentary loss of oil cook the turbo with water running through the central housing? How does having oil streaming out through the seals affect the the oil pressure at the bearing surface. Probably not favorably.
Old 01-25-2003, 02:27 AM
mlwagar
Intermediate

Their explanation was that the bearings ride on a continuous layer of oil once the motor is running and the oil pressure is up. When the oil pressure droped out, it created a side load situation and allowed the bearings, shaft, and housing to come into contact causing them to critically heat up. once the bearings no longer carried the load of the shaft, it moved to he turbine race and seal which is when the seal was taken out. They said fortunately the compressor side survived the ordeal with no damage. They said the damage caused could happen in just a matter of a minute or two. The problem I have is if the oil pressure dropped for that period of time, the motor would have destroyed itself (which it didn't do.) Unfortunately they are of the opinion that it is not their problem, and therefore their one year unlimited mileage warranty doesn't apply.
Old 01-25-2003, 10:02 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

I could think of many things that would cause the bearing to have a problem like that, such as being improperly machined and sized to start with, such as being too rough of a surface finsh to start with, such as being not deadly concentric so as to put the bearing in contact with the race while it is running, such as a turbine wheel that is slightly out of balance, such as improper end clearance on turbine seals, and probably on and on.

Short summary for me is that they don't stand behind their product. Their cost to rebuild your Turbo couldn't be very much, and there is simply no way that your engine quit feeding oil to the turbo for a minute or more and then miraculously started again!

I think I would get the Turbo back and send it to another repair shop before I would pay them an additional penny.

Thanks for letting us all know what came about.

Quick Reply: Replaced Headgasket, Still Smoking