Can't Bleed my Clutch System!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2001, 03:24 PM
rennwerkes
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Can't Bleed my Clutch System!!!

Guys, I need some help and advice.
Have an 89 951. Changed the pressure line to the clutch slave because it had rubbed on a screw and started to leak. In this process I also changed the clutch slave. Now I can't seem to get the system bled!
Have pressure bled it from the top. Have pressure bled it from the bottom. Have done the old style with someone pushing the clutch pedal. Have also taken the slave out and tried bleed by pushing the slave piston in! Nothing! Am I missing something here?
Let me know.
Thanks a ton!
Old 11-23-2001, 04:20 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, that slave is just a real SOB to bleed if you ever get air in it. The design and placement of the bleed screw traps air in the top of the slave.

A couple things: air likes to creep back in around the bleeder screw. Either get a speed bleeder screw or slap some grease on the threads. Usually pulling the slave, tilting it with the screw up and bleeding will work to get the air out.

Other than that, just keep trying, you have all the tricks I know of. Oh, if you can get the clutch to sort of work (not real solid but good enough to barely shift) and drive the car around awhile the trapped air will float out the top.

I have never tried this but maybe if you push started it in say 2nd and drove it around awhile in a big empty parking lot you could shake the air out. I hate that slave.
Old 11-23-2001, 07:47 PM
951mat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did it successfully w/ a vacume pump and speed bleeder by myself. It was still difficult and took a bunch of fluid before I finally got it. Air still seemed to get around the speed bleeder.

Quick Reply: Can't Bleed my Clutch System!!!