Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Zeitronix Harness Flaw?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 05:28 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Zeitronix Harness Flaw?

I'm upgrading to the 2010 version of the Zt-2. The online instructions (and my old harness) have the orange wire in position 4 and the white/blue wire in position 5. However, my factory new zeitronix harness has those wires backwards?!?

Sent a note to zeitronix just now to check, but thought I'd ask if anyone here has come across this?
Old 03-20-2011, 05:42 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Tom, They changed the firmware not too long ago (in the last year). Not sure if they changed the harness pin out or color scheme.
They should have a table describing the pins and the associated color for your unit.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast951
Tom, They changed the firmware not too long ago (in the last year). Not sure if they changed the harness pin out or color scheme.
They should have a table describing the pins and the associated color for your unit.

Thanks. Their online wiring chart for both the old and new versions both show it the same -- Orange in 4, White/Blue in 5. That is how my old Zeitronix harness is set up also. For whatever reason, my new harness has those two switched. I assume they just plugged them in wrong, but hate to wire it up without knowing for sure. As it is, I already wired up their boost sensor (probably incorrectly, since I used the color without realizing it was in the wrong pin) and used a loom cover and adhesive lined shrink tubing...
Old 03-20-2011, 06:50 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Just checked a new harness, it should be the latest as of late last year.
#1 - RED
#2 - White
#3 - Green
#4 - Orange
#5 - White/Blue
#6 - Yellow

You can swap the pins in the plug. Use a needle to remove the pins.. Still a PITA
Old 03-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Thanks for checking John -- above and beyond the call of duty once again! Your list is consistent with zeitronix website and my old harness. I actually have the official molex pin puller for these connectors, but I've found it tends to reduce the pin-holding ability of the connector (probably wear/scrapes away the ridge for the pin tang). I'm trying to eliminate all little wiring gremlins, so would prefer to just get a new one I think. The orange wire is already sealed in a loom with adhesive line shrink tubing, so would be a pain to recover from there. Raining too much to drive the car anyway -- need and Arc to get around... This may be the longest one-afternoon job yet. Here's a picture of the harness with the wires apparently switched at birth...
Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A trick for keeping the pins in the connector would be to add a little hot glue to the side that receives the wire. Still kind of sucks with a new product. Maybe have Zeitronix send you another and keep it somewhere safe in case of any trouble in the future?

And if the solder joint isn't going to to be seeing any moisture adhesive lined heat shrink is kind of overkill, granted I'm guilty of doing the same thing from time to time just for peace of mind.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Thanks for checking John -- above and beyond the call of duty once again! Your list is consistent with zeitronix website and my old harness. I actually have the official molex pin puller for these connectors, but I've found it tends to reduce the pin-holding ability of the connector (probably wear/scrapes away the ridge for the pin tang). I'm trying to eliminate all little wiring gremlins, so would prefer to just get a new one I think. The orange wire is already sealed in a loom with adhesive line shrink tubing, so would be a pain to recover from there. Raining too much to drive the car anyway -- need and Arc to get around... This may be the longest one-afternoon job yet. Here's a picture of the harness with the wires apparently switched at birth...
Tom
You may be a valuable one off, like the inverted Jenny LOL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_Jenny
That just sold for almost 3 million
Sorry about the problem though ....
Old 03-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott H
A trick for keeping the pins in the connector would be to add a little hot glue to the side that receives the wire. Still kind of sucks with a new product. Maybe have Zeitronix send you another and keep it somewhere safe in case of any trouble in the future?

And if the solder joint isn't going to to be seeing any moisture adhesive lined heat shrink is kind of overkill, granted I'm guilty of doing the same thing from time to time just for peace of mind.
Thanks, I'm going to just hold off and get a new harness. I tediously repaired the original after one of the pins pulled loose, using all molex parts and tools, and concluded it just wasn't worth the extra effort -- and it was never quite as strong. I'm trying to eliminate all the little wiring question marks, so don't want to install a patched up harness. The adhesive lined tubing is less likely to slide around, and it stiffens the joint so the wire is less likely to break from bending where the solder ends.

And, for the record, "overkill" is my middle name.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:58 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

And, for the record, "overkill" is my middle name.
I'll vouch for that!!
Misery enjoys company
Old 03-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Well Zeitronix got back to me first thing this morning and confirmed the wires were reversed by mistake. They are taking care of it right away with a replacement harness, so special thanks to them for that!
Old 03-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is one difference in that the pin for the user2 input should have a white/blue wire on it instead of gray. The User2 input is new for the 2010 Zeitronix. Comes in really handy for measuring fuel pressure
Old 03-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Well Zeitronix got back to me first thing this morning and confirmed the wires were reversed by mistake. They are taking care of it right away with a replacement harness, so special thanks to them for that!
It's a collectible!! Just like a I said!!! A one off
Old 03-22-2011, 01:30 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
It's a collectible!! Just like a I said!!! A one off

Right, a rare blem. If anyone wants it for $3 million, just say the word...
Old 03-22-2011, 10:23 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

You are cursed for Zeitronix wiring, aren't you? Glad you got it sorted.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gregeast
You are cursed for Zeitronix wiring, aren't you? Glad you got it sorted.
A little bit, yes, although all but this last harness thing were self-inflicted wounds no doubt, since my wiring was so messy. Looking to fix that once and for all this time around...

Quick Reply: Zeitronix Harness Flaw?