Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Legal advice needed involving alcohol

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 12:43 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Angry Legal advice needed involving alcohol

My Porsche 944 Turbo is currently in storage and my girlfriends 97 Grand Prix GTP was in the shop being fixed therefore we had no transportation to go anywhere. Me and my girlfriend are both 21 years of age while my friend Matt is 19. That day we had just gotten back from the Detroit Auto Show around midnight, and Matt decided to stay in my dorm room for a little while to watch the movie “Risky Business,” while Amy and I proceeded to drink a few Budweiser’s. Once we had ran out of beer I asked Matt if he could be my DD to take me to Wal-Mart to purchase more beer, Matt agreed and took me there to purchase the beer. At around 1am I purchased the beer from Wal-Mart, which the officer that stopped us said Wal-Mart cannot sell beer after 12am that day. After I purchased the beer from Wal-Mart we proceeded to head back to my dorm room. At my dorm hall they lock the outside doors after 12am so we had called my girlfriend Amy to come open the door for us so we could be let in. As I was standing outside waiting to be let in two Policemen had just came out and saw me holding the 18 pack of Budweiser. They asked for my license and Matt’s license. I had told him that I was 21 and he was taking me to the store to purchase this beer. They asked if I was aware that my buddy had been drinking and I said “no”. Well they gave my buddy a PBT and he blew a .055, so they immediately wrote up a ticket for me for furnishing alcohol to a minor while my buddy got a MIP. The police also asked if Matt was with us the whole day and where else he could have consumed the alcohol. I said yes he was with us because we had just gotten back from Detroit Auto show about an hour ago and he was our driver. After all the tickets were wrote I asked Matt where they hell he got the beer as he was suppose to drive back to his house that night which is 45mins away. Matt said he had stole a few without Amy or my knowledge and drank them during the movie from a plastic cup which I thought had Mountain Dew in it that I had gave him. Matt said he was willing to testify that he was taking beer without our knowledge so I’m thinking this may help the case. I’m a little upset about this situation and very disappointed in my buddy for putting me in this position. Any advice on what I should do? Should I get a lawyer?

Thanks
Old 01-21-2003, 01:22 PM
BigPorscheGuy39
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it were me? I wouldn't get a lawyer. I'd discuss it with the officers, honestly and without blaming them, and see if there exists a compromise or a settlement that can be reached before court is held.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:05 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Ive been in a few alcohol situations like this. For something like this I would not get a lawyer, but I would talk to a few in your area just to test the waters and look at your options. Some nice ones that deal with college students will meet with you for nothing to weigh your options. It sounds to me like if your buddy stands up and tells the truth you should be fine, maybe a slap on the wrist or some community service?

Also, here in Indiana its Illegal for a minor to drive somewhere to buy beer. IE: One of my 20 year old freinds driving me to the liquor store and buying beer, cop comes up and ID's him while hes sitting in the car waiting=were both screwed. Check the local laws on that...
Good Luck..

Quick Reply: Legal advice needed involving alcohol