Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

When installing Big Red's on Front...What about the Rears?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 05:28 PM
mumzer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by M Danger:
<strong>are you saying the 89's feel much harder? I like as much modulation as possible. Not a rock hard pedal after a half inch of stroke.

MD</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">you will never get a rock hard pedal with the stock components, but the 89 is considerably firmer. still has lots of travel, just much easier to modulate particularly with high initial friction pad compounds.
Old 01-25-2003, 09:41 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm, well not sure exactly what im going to be doing, im going to be running the GT2 calipers, so im not sure if ill be able to get away with the stock MC, may have to upgrade to the 89, or possibly even use the GT2 MC, wanted to install the new bias valve, but then again if i have to use the GT2 MC it might be just right since its set up for the 911.

Any thoughts?

PS i still have another set of GT2 brakes forsale, going to ebay on monday!
Old 01-27-2003, 11:16 AM
smokey
Pro

Mumzer, what is the part number on the 89 master cylinder? According to the parts manual, all 87 and later without ABS had 951 355 011 01. Is this the one you're referring to? Does it have larger cylinders compared to the 86 master? And does it bolt right up or do you need other parts like the reservoir? Sorry about all the questions, but I have S4's up front and would like a firmer pedal on the track, so I'm considering the master cylinder upgrade. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:01 PM
mumzer
Racer

i'll try to find the part #s i may actually have a spare if you need one. I had to change the brake line from the master to the 't' on the firewall and the master itself...it all bolts up with stock parts. The primary bore is 2mm bigger if memory serves. Turned an unacceptable pedal into a good, but not great one.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:49 PM
Mike A.
Instructor

I have 928 GTS up front and C2 Turbo brakes at the rear (pagid orange all around), and a porportioning valve. The ability to scrub off speed is fantastic not to mention fun.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:46 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, you really should want a rock hard pedal.....a moving pedal is nowhere near as easy for you to control, especially if the modulation changes any and if you aren't very, very securely fastened into your seat. Same reason why the control stick in an F-16 only has a small amount of travel. The control effect applied on that plane is based on the amount of force you apply to the stick, not how much you move the stick. Much easier for your body to reproduce a force level and much more accurate. Takes a little getting used to, but you can modulate much better just applying more or less muscle tension than having to move your leg or arm back/forth or up/down. I really like a nice hard brake pedal.

Quick Reply: When installing Big Red's on Front...What about the Rears?