944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Car Stereo question... amp under seat ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011 | 04:17 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Default Car Stereo question... amp under seat ?

Hi Guys
I am thinking strongly of relocating the front amp I have Nac PA200 ( which is relatively small from under the glove box to under the front pass side seat ...
Can someone tell me what the dimensions are that I have to play with under the seat ?
i.e. what are the clearance numbers, under the seat cavity ..?
side to side
top to bottom
front to back
My data: 88 TS w/ electrically adjustable seats....
Amp dimensions 7.5 wide x 1 .75 high x 6.5 deep
Thanks
best regards
Ed
Old 03-17-2011 | 04:31 PM
Dougs951
Race Car

That might fit but might I ask why the relocation?
Old 03-17-2011 | 04:50 PM
CurtP
Drifting

I'm not sure there's enough space under the seat for an amp. Definitely not with the 8-way seats that were in my car, and I'm not sure there is even with the Recaros I'm installing. I'm not sure I'd want to install an amp on the floor of these cars though. I know your car is an exception to the norm, but a plugged sunroof drain and a wet rear carpet would likely be the end of an amp that was mounted on the floor.

Are you looking to hide the amp? The backside of the rear speaker panel may have an area big enough for a small amp. There's a couple of other places that it may fit too, but I'd have to go look at mine to tell.
Old 03-17-2011 | 05:39 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Not the best way, but I had a descent size amp located under the pass seat(NON-POWER). The amp would not clear the seat, so I temp zip tied the amp to the underside of the seat, I had planned to make a bracket, but have not gotten around to it.

Steve
Old 03-17-2011 | 06:29 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dougs951
That might fit but might I ask why the relocation?
Well let me first say, I am not doing this because I want to, but rather because I was looking to move the amp under the seat, to free you the space under the glove box, for all the stuff I will be adding i.e.
SMT6
Zeitronix
profec b
and I was going to leave the Nac active crossover in the glove box, were it orig was.
The amp was also mounted inverted under the glove box, which I am guessing is not the best ... but that is not why I was thinking of making the move...
see pic
Originally Posted by CurtP
I'm not sure there's enough space under the seat for an amp. Definitely not with the 8-way seats that were in my car, and I'm not sure there is even with the Recaros I'm installing. I'm not sure I'd want to install an amp on the floor of these cars though. I know your car is an exception to the norm, but a plugged sunroof drain and a wet rear carpet would likely be the end of an amp that was mounted on the floor.

Are you looking to hide the amp? The backside of the rear speaker panel may have an area big enough for a small amp. There's a couple of other places that it may fit too, but I'd have to go look at mine to tell.
That was one of the first things I thought of ... although this car will not see the rain .. I was even thinking what if someone ( soon to be dead ) spilled a big gulp on that side of the car ....?Yeeks ! The back of the rear speakers ..? I already cut out the little crap speakers that were in there, to make a better vent for the rear speakers, but I don't remember how much room there was .? I don't think I want to re wire that extensively ? I crammed in the rear speakers holes a set of ADS S7's it was a pretty tight fit though ... I thought this might fit under there only because its pretty small amp ?
Maybe I will just try to have a 2 story shelf under the glove box ??
Also I do have those same seats 8 way adjustable ... so i guess this option is toast..?

Originally Posted by DrZ1
Not the best way, but I had a descent size amp located under the pass seat(NON-POWER). The amp would not clear the seat, so I temp zip tied the amp to the underside of the seat, I had planned to make a bracket, but have not gotten around to it.

Steve
Non-power? ...
So the amp rides back an forth with the seat ... ?
Thanks guys
Best regards
Ed
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2011 | 09:04 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

The seat is non-powered (manual)

and yes, I have enough slack to alow the travel full range.

Steve
Old 03-17-2011 | 11:17 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrZ1
The seat is non-powered (manual)

and yes, I have enough slack to alow the travel full range.

Steve
Got it.... sorry Should have realized that ...
Regards
Ed
Old 03-18-2011 | 01:23 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

I love old Nak stuff.

Ed, does your car have a passenger air bag? If not, there is quite a bit of room where it would otherwise be. Alternatively, there is a lot of room around the rear cubbies. Failing that, do you have any other amplifiers in the system? The PA-200 isn't a power monster, and it would be fairly easy to match its output from two channels of multichannel amplifier.
Old 03-18-2011 | 01:50 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pontifex4
I love old Nak stuff.

Ed, does your car have a passenger air bag? If not, there is quite a bit of room where it would otherwise be. Alternatively, there is a lot of room around the rear cubbies. Failing that, do you have any other amplifiers in the system? The PA-200 isn't a power monster, and it would be fairly easy to match its output from two channels of multichannel amplifier.
Hi Charles
Sadly yes ... but that would have been a great idea!
Yes, the PA 200 is a relatively low output amp, but I have very efficient speakers up front ( Boston Acoustics) and a old Proton 250 in the rear (for the subs) mounted on the wall in front of the spare tire. One of the cubbies, already has a 10 disc changer ( cira 1988) So I wouldn't want to give up the other. Also they dont breath that well... It sounds like under the seat is a bad idea?
I guess I will have to leave it about where it is
I had given thought to going with a little more current system and looking at getting a bigger amp ( 4 channel ) but I doubt it would fit where the old Proton is now .. and then looking at the head unit and the disc changer ... It's all starts looking so old ( which it is ) but the amps provide very clean power unlike a lot of the crap out there today ....
Best regards
Ed
Old 03-18-2011 | 02:15 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Ed, if it was well done to begin with, I wouldn't change the components out just for change's sake. (I'm a big early 90's audio hardware fan, and I actually collect amps and head units from that generation -- mostly unused stuff that's still in its packaging, believe it or not).

My point about consolidating amps was just that you could likely do it quite easily and inexpensively without adding any footprint. Something like the old Alpine V12 4- or 5-channel amps could easily power the whole system, and for what they can do, they're tiny. Also, you can normally buy one for $40 on ebay. $50 if it's a really nice one.
Old 03-18-2011 | 02:26 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Ed, if it was well done to begin with, I wouldn't change the components out just for change's sake. (I'm a big early 90's audio hardware fan, and I actually collect amps and head units from that generation -- mostly unused stuff that's still in its packaging, believe it or not).

My point about consolidating amps was just that you could likely do it quite easily and inexpensively without adding any footprint. Something like the old Alpine V12 4- or 5-channel amps could easily power the whole system, and for what they can do, they're tiny. Also, you can normally buy one for $40 on ebay. $50 if it's a really nice one.
Wow that's cheap ...
I agree consolidating is the way to go ..That was something I thought about a while ago, but never got around to doing that .. Running the RCA input wires up to the front of the car was no picnic and that was only two channels ... running another set would be a royal PITA
Man that stuff is still around NIB ? that's unreal ...
Off hand what is the output on those Alpine units.. Is the THD high on these units ?
Old 03-18-2011 | 10:31 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
The back of the rear speakers ..? I already cut out the little crap speakers that were in there, to make a better vent for the rear speakers, but I don't remember how much room there was .? I don't think I want to re wire that extensively ? I crammed in the rear speakers holes a set of ADS S7's it was a pretty tight fit though ... I thought this might fit under there only because its pretty small amp ?
Well, not exactly on the back of the speakers. If you take off the rear side trim, and remove the speakers from the sheet metal and reach through the speaker hole, there should be a fairly flat space below and forward of where the speaker mounts. You may be able to get an amp in there. If not there, then maybe behind the side carpet in the hatch area. About the only other place I can think of (since the cubbies in the back of your car are already occupied) is above the glovebox behind the dash. It's pretty cramped in there, but if you don't have an airbag, there is a little bit of room. I wouldn't drill through the firewall to mount it though.
Old 03-18-2011 | 10:55 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Doesn't does things get really hot?
Old 03-18-2011 | 12:45 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Man that stuff is still around NIB ? that's unreal ...
Off hand what is the output on those Alpine units.. Is the THD high on these units ?
Oh, yeah. http://ampguts.com/forum/

The early V12 stuff that looks like this (no affiliation): http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-MRV-F300S...03557822173205

...were workhorse amps with low THD and high S/N. Good, clean power, no matter where you set the levels, and easily bridgeable. Don't mount them upside down, though, as they do tend to get warm.

Later Alpines (as the "V12" graphic started to get bigger and flashier) began to decline in quality in my opinion, more or less in step with a lot of products which were 'discovered' by average consumers as the industry took off.

There are, of course, other alternatives. I'm now using a pair of Bostons, but they're very big:
Attached Images  
Old 03-18-2011 | 11:59 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CurtP
Well, not exactly on the back of the speakers. If you take off the rear side trim, and remove the speakers from the sheet metal and reach through the speaker hole, there should be a fairly flat space below and forward of where the speaker mounts. You may be able to get an amp in there. If not there, then maybe behind the side carpet in the hatch area. About the only other place I can think of (since the cubbies in the back of your car are already occupied) is above the glovebox behind the dash. It's pretty cramped in there, but if you don't have an airbag, there is a little bit of room. I wouldn't drill through the firewall to mount it though.
I guess I am leaving them there for now With all the new wiring I was going to do I thought it would be a good time to look for another location ...

Originally Posted by reno808
Doesn't does things get really hot?
Especially when you crank'em

Oh, yeah. http://ampguts.com/forum/

The early V12 stuff that looks like this (no affiliation): http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-MRV-F300S...03557822173205

...were workhorse amps with low THD and high S/N. Good, clean power, no matter where you set the levels, and easily bridgeable. Don't mount them upside down, though, as they do tend to get warm.

Later Alpines (as the "V12" graphic started to get bigger and flashier) began to decline in quality in my opinion, more or less in step with a lot of products which were 'discovered' by average consumers as the industry took off.

There are, of course, other alternatives. I'm now using a pair of Bostons, but they're very big:
I would like to look some day at doing a 3 or 4 channel and mounting it where my rear amp is now but nothing like that monster you have there So I should look for the older stuff from alpine vs the new stuff ? Most the new stuff seems to be 1% THD
Best regards guys
Ed

Quick Reply: Car Stereo question... amp under seat ?