Passed Colorado Emissions!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 01:15 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Passed Colorado Emissions!

The state recently re-instituted emissions testing in Northern Colorado and so I got to do emissions today for the first time in 5+ years. Unlike the previous tailpipe sniffer only test we now get to strap the car on a dyno and they simulate driving conditions.

After sweating bullets, I'm most happy to say that it passed with flying colors!

The car:

1987 951
K27/6, Vitesse MAF & software, 55 lbs injectors, stock cat in place for test

The results:

HC GPM 1.7060 Limit: 3.00
CO GPM 11.7827 Limit: 20.00
CO2 GPM 384.5255 Limit: None stated on report
NOx GPM 3.2671 Limit: 6.00

It was pretty funny watching them try and find the cat and the O2 sensor, after letting them root around under the hood for a few minutes I walked out and asked what they were looking for. I pointed them to the right place for the O2 sensor and all was good.

Anyway, big relief for me. I know a number of us along the Front Range have failed recently, thought you all might like to know that there is hope!

Cheers.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:51 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-17-2011, 02:53 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 350 Posts

Good news! It was quite the odyssey to get mine to pass, but that's when it was blowing all kinds of smoke.

We'll see how it does now with the LS1...
Old 03-17-2011, 03:13 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hopefully you'll be able to pass by doing the drive-by thing, I would think that would be much simpler than answering all the questions they might ask about an LS1 in a 944.

That said, all they really cared about was that the car was supposed to have an O2 sensor and a cat. They (eventually) found those and then I guess the assumption is that if it passes on the numbers they must be functioning. Since you have both on the car I suspect you'll be fine either way.

Still can't wait to see the dang thing and show you my shiny new paint.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:51 PM
hevquip
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

****ty, guess this means I either need to drum up one of those fake cats off of ebay or I will indeed be bribing the emissions person to not write up that there isn't one. Still waiting on delivery of the car, but I have it's emissions tests that were done in Memphis (which passes for TN). As a comparison, my car is a 2.8 liter turbo with 4" exhaust and test pipe with supporting mods for the current 365 RWHP it has and the emission readouts were as follows:

Hydrocarbons - Standard is 220 PPM and vehicle passed with 91.57 PPM
Carbon Monoxide - Standard is 1.2% and vehicle passed with .65%

Looks like those are the only two things Memphis tests for when it comes to emissions and they don't require catalytic converters for emissions standards. I've already forgotten what I just read in this thread, so there was a third emissions readout as well for Colorado cars right?

What part of Colorado are you in Greg? I wasn't aware that there were parts of the state exempt from emissions, musta been nice all this time to not have to deal with emissions or worry about mods changing anything.

Does anyone else have emissions readouts for their car? I'm interested in seeing some comparisons and how much emissions vary from car to car, with or without mods.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:08 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm up in Loveland. Most of the state still doesn't have to do emissions testing, it's just us lucky slobs on the Front Range. Denver has always had to do testing but about 6 years ago N. CO was exempted, mostly because something like 98% of cars were passing the idle test, which meant nearly all of us were spending $25 for nothing. As you can imagine all the local garages, Jiffy Lubes, etc. were pissed that this lucrative revenue stream was taken away. I know the local Jiffy Lube manager and he said it was ~$80,000/year of revenue for them, just that one location.

Anyway, apparently some of our numbers were a little off standard up north here and as I've heard tell there was one local who was educated, motivated and persistent enough to get the testing reinstated. Except now it's at centralized testing stations with rollers and/or drive-by tests. The fact that we have to pay the $25 emissions fee regardless of whether you pass on the drive-by or not tells you everything you need to know about why we're doing this again, but that's just my humble opinion.

I hate to say it but a fake cat would definitely get the job done assuming you can pass on the numbers...
Old 03-17-2011, 04:28 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

You're not going to be bribing the guys down here, they're not a local shop, it's a big environtest sorta place.

You'll need to have a cat or something that looks like it in place, otherwise it's an immediate fail, and you can't get plates here without passing the test.

Greg, you going to HPR this weekend? I'll be there Saturday and Sunday.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:38 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll be at a track this weekend, but only the 1/4 mile oval kind watching my kids run

Get your shift **** sorted out?
Old 03-17-2011, 04:42 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Drop by HPR! I can bring the boost hose for you, or just send me your mailing address and I'll send them up to you.

A RL'r is sending me one, should have it tomorrow.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:53 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

No rush on the boost hose, I'm sure we'll end up in the same place at some point soon.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:20 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I passed the sniffer last year in Texas with the test pipe in place. This is my last year (car will be 25 and exempt). We'll see what happens with the bigger turbo etc.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:20 AM
will951
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always enjoyed driving down to Denver and getting off the exit for Speer. There was a sign that basically said your car was killing the earth, or was nice and emission free. Anyone remember that?

Well.....it never liked my old 944 to say the least! haha.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:58 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Had to do emissions testing again today, we have a two year cycle in Colorado.

March 2011
Vitesse chips, stock exhaust & cat
HC GPM 1.7060 Limit: 3.00
CO GPM 11.7827 Limit: 20.00
CO2 GPM 384.5255 Limit: None stated on report
NOx GPM 3.2671 Limit: 6.00

March 2013
M-Tune, Lindsey 3" exhaust & sport cat
HC GPM 2.3306 Limit: 2.5000
CO GPM 15.9541 Limit: 20.0000
CO2 GPM 347.2157 Limit: None stated on report
NOx GPM 2.9070 Limit: 4.0000

Interesting that the HC & Nox limits decreased by 16% and 33% respectively, that seems like dirty pool for a 25 year old car. I forgot to turn the boost control down (which I think I did last time) which may account for some of the change. That said, nice to know my street set up is actually legal...what a concept!

We have a drive by screening system in Colorado which I made a point of driving past during the past year. I'm guessing since I was close on HC that I had to go ahead and do the dyno test. May try and pull some fuel with the FQS and (finally) get my wideband installed and tied into my spiffy new Rogue Tuning DME logger.

Quick Reply: Passed Colorado Emissions!