Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Titanium Rods/ aftermarket pistons

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 06:34 AM
Turby
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by PorscheG96:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Turby:
<strong>Anyone know why the early factory 968 turbos were breaking rods, and what exactly did they change?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Can I see a source for this data? Thanks.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">I heard this fron Konstantin regarding the 968 turbo he has for sale....it also has the upgraded rods.
Nicolas, Mabe that was the change, but I would THINK they would use a diffrent rod on the turbo?
Old 01-22-2003, 09:30 AM
Nicolas
Instructor

Maybe , but the 968 rod is forged so it should be good enough for the stock 968 TS...
The difference between the "normal" and upgraded rod is not so signifiant:
The design is the same - they just enlarged the upper mounting shoulder.

Nicolas
Old 01-22-2003, 11:41 AM
BigPorscheGuy39
Banned

Hey Fusionsport,

Thanks. You know, 210 HP seems to be a magic number for that car. I've been informed, mostly by heresay also, that 210 is the horsepower at which the fuel distribution system ends up burning lean and the car becomes unpredictable. So maybe I can't feel all warm and cozy believing I can take my car above 210 and have the newly treated rods hold up, but that's fine. I'm probably right around 200 right now and happy there...at least until the next rebuild - but even if I did go that route, I'd have to swap out the fuel system and go with EFI - which I'm not willing to do just yet.

Thing is, when I talk to guys on the 924.org board, there's the message sent out by racers there that these rods are literally indestructable up to and above 210, 250 HP. Most say balancing and lightening, or shotpeening, is not required. So I'm glad you've told me this stuff to toss in a little caution to the rebuild picture. I've got a second engine and wouldn't mind making up a monster in my spare time...oh well, someday...

Old 01-23-2003, 03:38 AM
fusionsport
Instructor

I dont know who is saying they are getting 250 out of a 924, but I hope they mean turbo, as my full race motors didnt put that out, and when I talked to Holberts guy, he said the factory rated the motor at max 225 but Holbert was getting nearer 250-260, btu was rebuilding them alot. The rods in that motor as delivered are only one step or so up from a VW, and are plenty strong enough for the engines original purpose, but when you start treating a truck engine like a race engine something will give, and though it is usually the head gasket/valves, the rods are next in line. We have to remember that the Audi truck motor is just that, and a 924 Turbo is just a truck motor with a hand grenade attached. Dont get me wrong- i ran the car and I never had a serious failure, but there is a serious reason Porsche came up with the 944 motor so quickly, and the above is a big part of it.

Quick Reply: Titanium Rods/ aftermarket pistons