Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Modifying bug hits

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Ray_Singh
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifying bug hits

I have a 1986 944 turbo that i bought about a year ago.
It came with a box full of go faster goodies and print outs showing 290 bhp at one point.

However, when i bought the car the head gasket was suspect and the owner removed as many of the go faster goodies as he could. It is now running 220 bhp.

I am having the head gasket checked currently, but the news back from the garage today is that the bottom hose is leaking when the system is pressurized as is the radiator. I have given the go ahead to replace these and hopefully this is all that is needed to cure the fault.

How can i get back to 290bhp ? The car has a Tial waste-gate fitted as well as a manual boost controller under the bonnet. The box of parts includes chips and a fuel pressure regulator.

Is it as easy as putting these all back onto the car?
Old 03-16-2011, 10:16 AM
barks944
Advanced

Hey, also a UK 951 owner. You need to know what boost pressure the chips are designed for.You have the 220bhp car which means the chip is probably setup for ~1Bar boost although it won't hold that to the redline. I would re-install the FPR and the chips and set the boost to 1 bar on the manual boost controller. Do you know who the chip was from, might be worth contacting them to get more detail? I would say 1 bar is likely however for that power output.

Tom
Old 03-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Ray_Singh
Instructor

Thanks Tom, you know your stuff. Where are you based? Im in Swindon Wiltshire.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:29 AM
barks944
Advanced

I'm just over in Gloucester, be happy to help if you get into trouble. I'm rebuilding my 951's engine atm so I'm quite involved with the 944 turbo . PM me and I'll drop you my email/phone if you like.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:42 AM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

second the finding out what chips they are. It might be worth the money to invest in some new chips for what you have exactly.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Ray_Singh
Instructor

Got a picture of some of the parts that came with the car.

I forgot to mention that its already running a Bailey Dump valve.

and the chips:

Old 03-16-2011, 03:04 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

Thats company of your chips are right up the roads from me. Baxk in the day they used to be the chips together.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:27 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

Used to be the chips to get sorry android phone likes to plug its own words in
Old 03-16-2011, 03:39 PM
SteveIX51
Advanced

I believe those Autothority chips are their 944T Stage 2 package, but from 2001: http://www.autothority.com/product_i...roducts_id=205

Do a little more research on those chips, and add the components they were designed (e.g., 3 bar FPR, etc.). I am guessing that is what you have in the box, but it's smart to double check. Installing those components is not difficult, a good afternoon's work, and you should be back up to speed.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:18 PM
Ray_Singh
Instructor

Great - thanks for those replies. I will get the current state of the engine checked and then start adding these bolt on parts.
Looking forward to 290 horses again.

Has anyone sucessfully 'piggy backed' these chips to create a 290 to 220 bhp car at the throw of a switch or cant that be done?
Old 03-16-2011, 06:26 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Examine the banjo bolt, if it has a restrictor inside of it, then do not use it if you plan on using the Manual Boost controller shown in the picture above.
As far as I know:
- The APE chips were programmed to be used with the restricted banjo bolt, which is how the altered boost. Using a MBC instead may cause incorrect AFR.
- The APE chips did not use a 3bar FPR. Maybe it was added to correct a lean AFR as the MBC was used?

I would investigate a bit more before slapping all the parts back on the car.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:11 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

I'm running an old old old autothority stage 2 chip with a MBC set to 15-16, 3bar FPR, Tial 38mm, and 2.5'' test pipe. My AFR is ~14 +/- 1 at idle, 11's in midrange at WOT, then leans to 12s in upper rpms (5k+).

But every car is different. And my tune might not be the same... 16 years old now.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:23 PM
ZW 944
Racer

What is that brass colored thing in between the FPR and the BOV? I just recently found one of those installed on my turbo between the cycling valve and the wastegate,and I thought it was just a restrictor installed by the PO. Overboost protection was kicking in in 3rd gear, and I thought it might have been the culprit, so I removed it.

Is it something designed to work in conjunction with the Autothority chips? I'm yet to check the chip in my car, its possible it could be aftermarket.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:07 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZW 944
What is that brass colored thing in between the FPR and the BOV? I just recently found one of those installed on my turbo between the cycling valve and the wastegate,and I thought it was just a restrictor installed by the PO. Overboost protection was kicking in in 3rd gear, and I thought it might have been the culprit, so I removed it.

Is it something designed to work in conjunction with the Autothority chips? I'm yet to check the chip in my car, its possible it could be aftermarket.

It looks to be a boost controller. IMO looks home made, it may not be but looks like it.

i wouldn't call it a "restrictor" but more of a "bleeder valve" and i wouldn't have a clue why he would have it with the cycling valve. They're designed to work with chips which are programmed to run more boost with a bleeder valve and with out the cycling valve. some chips are programed to work with the stock cycling valve and use a restricted banjo. I'm not sure which chips do what, but i'm sure if you ask "fast951" he'll give you a hand. his been in the chip business for a real long time.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Yes, it's a bleeder valve - my car came with one of those, too (I still have it in a box somewhere, in fact). It only allows a small portion (or none) of the boost pressure from the cycling valve to go open the wastegate up.

After blowing a head gasket, I took it off - along with the Autothority chips and restricted banjo bolts.

I think, if you want 290 HP, do it the right way, although you'll have to pay for it for old fashioned way - with money to our fine Rennlist sponsors.

Quick Reply: Modifying bug hits