Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Danno your Map2 vs Link 1 results

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 12:51 AM
MySwiss
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Danno your Map2 vs Link 1 results

Danno,in the past you have mentioned that the end results from either using the Map2 or Link1 system would be the same.The only difference; being able to frequently tune with the link1,Correct?

Well I always thought that using chips,such as in the map2 system would never yield the same exact results, as in the car that was used to burn those chips.Which means that the fueling and timming maps that are burned on these chips, might work well on your test car but not so well on my 951.Am I not correct? This would lead me to believe that using any stand alone(tuned on a dyno) would in most cases yield the best results for the car that it was tuned with,since it's not an approximation;right?
Old 01-17-2003, 02:17 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"in the past you have mentioned that the end results from either using the Map2 or Link1 system would be the same."

Yes, that's because for any configuration, there's but one optimum maximum fuel & ignition map. We find this map by running things right up to the ragged edge of detonation, then backing off a bit for safety and environmental variations. This optimum map is then programmed into our chips , our MAP boxes and the Link-1 EFI. If you were the piston or the spark plug, all you would know about engine-management is that there's a certain amount of fuel that's metered and the spark was fired at a certain time. But you wouldn't know (and wouldn't care) what system was used to deliver the fuel & spark.

"The only difference; being able to frequently tune with the link1,Correct? "

Yes, the primary benefit of the Link-1 will be quick changes to the pre-programmed settings in the event your configuration doesn't quite match our optimized settings (we've got 16 different calibrations).

" that using any stand alone(tuned on a dyno) would in most cases yield the best results for the car that it was tuned with,since it's not an approximation;right? "

What you can do, is make adjustments that are closer to the ragged edge of destruction in order to squeeze an addition 2-3% out of your car than we've pre-programmed, but I wouldn't recommmend that.
Old 01-17-2003, 03:44 AM
rcldesign
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, with a Link you can get more power by changing the spark from crank (distributor fired) to individual coils with sequential (instead of batch) firing. Not to mention that a stand alone replaces your (probably) raggedy stock wiring harnass with a new one AND the system will grow with you (i.e. if you add a big turbo, that's no problem since you can re-configure the system to deal with that). IMHO, stand alone systems rock the house, and they aren't *that* much more expensive than a MAP or MAF kit.

Quick Reply: Danno your Map2 vs Link 1 results