Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Engine Compartment Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 12:29 AM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Compartment Light

Anyone have some experience with a non-working engine compartment light? I have 12V at the push switch (the one operated by the opening and closing of the hood) but no power at the light socket.

It's a pita to trace out the wire in between...

and yes I am lazy.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:31 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't you have to also turn on the brights (flip the turn signal stock forward) to get that light on?

Mine doesn't have a bulb in it, but thought I read somewhere that that is how you turn the under hood light on.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:41 AM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

Last time I powerwashed under my hood that light came on, haven't seen it since. Try that
Old 03-14-2011, 12:47 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Parking lights need to be on to turn the light bulb on. check if there's power at the bulb, if so it might just be a blown bulb.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:55 AM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onspeed
Parking lights need to be on to turn the light bulb on. check if there's power at the bulb, if so it might just be a blown bulb.
Really? Won't that be a kick in the *** after about 2hrs of trying to trace it out.

I'll try that...thx
Old 03-14-2011, 08:42 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Yes, headlight switch needs to be on. Also, I thought it was a mercury or some kind of tilting switch at the socket... Mine would only come on when the hood was 1/2 raised or so. I believe the push button switch by the fuse box is for the alarm.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:56 AM
Delorean1
1st Gear

Default 944 Lux 1983 LHD Enginer Compartment light

An old thread but thought it prudent to add my thoughts as I took my light apart this week as it hadn't worked since i bought the car in 2001

Long and short, yes there is a little mercury tube inside and it draws power from N/S Parking light only. No sidelights required for this and in fact if they are, it overrides the parking light and wont work

I cut the wire just at the clip on the bonnet hinge below the little clear shroud that stope the wire chafing of the metal clip. I then took to the bench, took it carefully apart and cleaned all connections with fine sandpaper and some small brass wire brushes

All back together and used heat shrink to reconnect the wire and all working. Happy days

Tips - Make sure you clean bulb receptor thoroughly and make sure you put the mercury tube back in the correct way or the circuit wont engage when the bonnet is up

Quick Reply: Engine Compartment Light