Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo blow by question, OIL!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 03:39 PM
OVERBOOST
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Turbo blow by question, OIL!

I have found there to be a large amount of oil in the intake system: Intercooler pipes, turbo out let and inlet. The turbo spins freely and has about .05" radial runout. How can I be assured that it is oil passing by the dynamic seals on the turbo and not some problem with the crank case vent system? All ideas welcome

86' with 103,000 miles

Thanks,
Old 06-17-2002, 04:53 PM
Ryan B
Intermediate

I have an '86 Turbo (with 104k) as well!

I'm actually in the middle of an extensive clutch repair (2nd time in a two months due to bad part- F_ING guide tube was new but doesn't look like the Porsche one I've got now) and I'm replacing everything under the manifold and turbo seals as well to make this car slightly more reliable...

I've also got oil in the intake, but I doubt it's all due to the turbo. I'll let you know more when I have the turbo off later today...

-R
Old 06-17-2002, 05:49 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can usually tell if it's the turbo because oil-smoke will be most visible under high-boost conditions. If it's constant smoke/oil, then it's probably valve-seals. Do a test at night getting on the freeway. Floor it when someone's close to you and see if you notice a smoke cloud in their headlights.
Old 06-17-2002, 07:26 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW my car was smoking bad when i had a huge pressure leak..and was smoking a little before I cleaned out the IC pipes, the intake boot and all the rubber fittings around em.

It's 100% completely clean now, saw it on the dyno and at the autox...

A light film of oil is normal...
Old 06-18-2002, 12:07 AM
tecart
Pro

take the intake manifold off then dump it upside down and see how much oil is in it, if its full of oil you need new turbo seals, if not then its just standard oil turbo blow by, it will happen the most if you run 17 psi or more often, if you do then your problem is solved, valve guide seals will cause rough idle and oil being burned out the exhaust on full throttle
Old 06-18-2002, 03:33 AM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Exclamation

My '87 951 had alot of oil in the intake pipe after the turbo so I took the intercooler out and drained about a quart of old black syrup that was really sticky out. Then I filled it up to the brim with 114 octane race gas and let it sit for about an hour. I then shook it up and drained the gas that was now brown out. I then rinsed it with some tolulene. Then finished with some paint thinner and brake kleen. Who knows how long it will take to get another quart in there but I'm guessing about a year.

Quick Reply: Turbo blow by question, OIL!